Thread: Newbie to Stock Market and Investing

So I posted on the Open Forum regarding investment ideas and I thought I'd post here as well. As I mentioned before, I am in my mid-twenties and just began my career and essentially my 'professional life'. I have a little over 10,000 saved up for a house. As for investments, I don't have none! I have my pension that just started since I am a public educator but other than that I don't have much capital.

My question is this: What can I do now in order to be secure as I get older?

How do I go about letting my money work for me?

All advice is welcomed! I know some of you out there have tremendous life experience and can give me a head start with investing, saving, etc. I know I don't have a lot of 'extra' money lying around but it is something and at least a start.

I am not an investment adviser or a financial professional but in all of my years of reporting on this subject most pros give this advice:

1. Pay down your debt first. If you carry a balance on a credit card and the interest rate is 18%, you will immediately get an 18% return on your money if you pay down the debt.
    2. Have six months of cash reserves in the bank to cover bills in case of a problem.
    3. Use company or employer investment plans that have a "match" or a discount, if available.

After that, your first step should be with broad-based mutual funds that match something like the S&P 500 Index. Try to use a "no load" fund which means there are no commissions.

Thanks Alan,

I am completely new to the adult world and don't really know where to begin, if that makes sense? As for the steps:

1. I don't have any credit card debt, I do have students loans. I should pay that off before I invest correct?
    2. 6 months of cash reserve sounds achievable within the year
    3. I have begun doing this through the school district

In terms of saving for a house, do you just put money away each month 'till you have a down payment ready??

You seem like an intelligent guy. Avoid stock brokers and big brokerage houses. Do a little research and invest in growth stocks or funds. Definitely pay all credit card debt etc. When paying bills, you should always pay yourself first (50-50), and then try to invest as much of that as is possible.

And avoid those negative VP games--lol

You can invest in stock or share market. Most of the business men keep share market in mind while starting new business. You should know about share market tips and subscribe newsletters etc. You can get more tips from sirfpaisa.

Hi preet, I am not clear by what you mean by a "share market"? Is that what we commonly called the stock market -- the selling of shares??

Hello Alan, yes you are right. I am talking about share/stock market where traders bought and sell shares of stocks.

Thanks dear for sharing this beautiful and helpful post. I will keep in my mind these tips. I hope these will help me and give me benefits in my future.

Thread Information