I'm not sure how this Trojan Horse computer bug got into my computer -- but it did -- and it gave me a couple of hours of aggravation tonight until I found a way to get it out.

I must admit these scam artists are a bit more creative than the others I've heard about.

Here's what happened:

I was on my computer looking at a particular website with information about online poker and I left my computer to go to the fridge to get a soft drink. When I returned to my computer the screen was "locked" and on the screen was a large graphic that purported to come from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (yes, the FBI) and it had a photo of the wall of my office taken from the built in camera on my computer. Had I been sitting there instead of going to the fridge, I would have been in that photo.

The bold text on the page said that my computer was locked, and I was under investigation for computer fraud and computer crimes including online gambling. Well, that was a wise choice by the scammers because I was on a website that talked about online poker.

The text demanded that I send via wire $300 and to make the transaction I would have to go to one of several chain stores and purchase a money transfer. And if I didn't do this within 48 hours the FBI would proceed with its criminal investigation. And if I did send the $300 my computer would be immediately unlocked.

Well, of course it is a scam! The FBI does not give you an option to pay a $300 fee to drop an investigation. The FBI does not announce via a computer message that you are being investigated. And I sincerely doubt that the scammers would have unlocked my computer had I actually wired them the money.

While I have anti virus software, I am afraid that this Trojan Horse was too new for my software company and they couldn't block it. Luckily I have some computer savvy friends who told me how to remove it -- and I did -- but it was a pain in the neck and I certainly hope other damage wasn't done that I don't know about.

Ironically when I reported the attack the website said it was not to blame, and the independent advertising company that runs video ads on the site was to blame, and that if I paid for a premium membership I wouldn't have to view its commercials. No thank you, I will just stay away.