Thread: Lost a tournament in two hands

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I played in a mid-sized poker tournament Saturday afternoon and lost all my chips in two hands. Both cases were bad luck, and frankly, I wouldn't have done things differently but that doesn't ease the pain.

Hand #1 I have more than doubled my initial chip stack and am comfortable at the table with a a nice lead at my table. There are four other tables at this point. I am the big blind (600 chips) with pocket deuces -- not a strong hand but fortunately no one raised pre flop and there were two other callers plus the small blind who called. So four players in all.

The flop comes Q - 5 - 2. Wonderful. I flop a set.
    The small blind checks, and I check hoping someone will bet so that I can come over them. Sure enough the next player bets 3,500 which is a bit more than the pot which includes antes of 50 per player. Player 4 (the button) folds, the small blind folds and I re-raise going all-in. The raiser thinks for a moment then calls with all her chips (that player has fewer chips than I do).

The action: I show my set, the other player shows QJ. I am way ahead. But disaster is coming. The turn is a Jack giving the other player two pair, and the river is a queen giving the other player a bigger full house than mine, and I am left with about 1800 chips.

Hand #2 The very next hand. I have Ace-King in the small blind which is 300 chips plus the 50 ante and three other players call the big blind. This is a perfect opportunity for me to quadruple up if my AK win. I am all in and I get two callers.
    The river gives me the ace-high flush, but I lose to a straight flush.

These things will happen, but not back to back like this. It made me so sick I was saying to myself I'll never play poker again.
    Last edited by Alan Mendelson; 01-27-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typos

Thread Information