Tonight, my video editor and I decided we needed to take a short break, so decided to head out to Haagen Dazs for some marvelously rich and delicious ice cream. But before we went into Haagen Dazs, my editor had to drop off a prescription at the Rite Aide phrarmacy next door... and there I saw a Thrifty Ice Cream Counter.

There used to be a Thrifty drug store chain -- it's gone by Thrifty Ice Cream and the counter and display case with hand scooped ice cream remains in some stores, like this Rite Aid.

For years I used to walk to the Thrifty up the block to get a scoop or two of ice cream. And my kids loved to go up to the Thrifty as much as I did... well, maybe as much as I did.

So tonight, I got two scoops of "Mocha Almond Fudge" at the Thrifty Counter instead of two scoops of "Jamocha Almond Fudge" at the Haagen Dazs next door.

I'm a big fan of the Haagen Dazs Jamocha Almond Fudge and I think it's an incredibly rich and delicious ice cream. But the Thrifty scoops were bigger and rich enough and without a doubt cost much less.