Thread: proper play

Arci--or anyone else that knows the math. 2 guys playing next to me were arguing about the following hand and asked me my opinion. I honestly wasn't sure what is proper although I know what I usually do.

6,8,10 of hearts xx on 8-5 ddb

I keep the hearts but not sure of proper play.

Then I was wondering, if it were 5,8,10 of hearts, I would discard cause it doesn't reach.

I'd drop em all, too boring.

The proper play is to keep the 3-to-the-SF, assuming the two discards were a total waste. The only time you keep those three cards if there were a 5 instead of a 6 with no SF draw is when your game pays 7 for a flush, such as 10/7 DDB & 9/7 TDB. However, in 10/7 ddb which is a game I have played in SPS, a special play is never to hold 3-to-a-flush unless it has at least one high card.

We need to know what the xx cards were. If the xx were a suited ace or two suited high cards or jack-queen offsuit or a paying pair, or any pair, you'd keep them.

Three to a straight flush with two gaps and no high cards is a very low draw on video poker strategy. Making the draw even less desirable is that the flush pays only 5 coins. If this were a game paying 6 coins for the flush, or a game such as Royal Aces Bonus which has a giant payoff for a straight flush (500 coins instead of 250 on most games), the straight flush with three low cards with two gaps becomes more valuable.

If the xx cards were a 2spades and 3clubs then yes I would have held the three hearts for the straight flush draw.

Oh come on. hold the ten. One to the royal!

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    We need to know what the xx cards were. If the xx were a suited ace or two suited high cards or jack-queen offsuit or a paying pair, or any pair, you'd keep them.

Three to a straight flush with two gaps and no high cards is a very low draw on video poker strategy. Making the draw even less desirable is that the flush pays only 5 coins. If this were a game paying 6 coins for the flush, or a game such as Royal Aces Bonus which has a giant payoff for a straight flush (500 coins instead of 250 on most games), the straight flush with three low cards with two gaps becomes more valuable.

If the xx cards were a 2spades and 3clubs then yes I would have held the three hearts for the straight flush draw.
    The discards were not penalty cards--no hearts and nothing that would help a straight.

But Quahaug has the best idea-lol

Thread Information