Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Dancer quotes a $200/hour consultation fee

I find no fault with him asking for a fee for consulting. He is certainly entitled to a fee for any kind of private training, advice, information he provides. After all, he is a well known professional.

But $200 an hour? That's what he wrote in his newest column on LVA.

If he had said $100 I would have thought it was high. $50 an hour is reasonable, I think, if the player came to Bob. But $200 an hour?

After a 40 hour week at $200 an hour it's $8000, and after 50 weeks (two weeks off for vacation) it's $400,000.

$400,000 is the annual salary of the President of the United States.

Dancer has quoted this rate in previous columns. Maybe he was a lawyer in a past life.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Dancer has quoted this rate in previous columns. Maybe he was a lawyer in a past life.
    I belong to a legal services plan that costs $14 per month and allows me free consultations with a lawyer. Perhaps he should start a subscription service, too?

I believe it would be safe to say that NO ONE has ever paid him anything for the type of advice he'd be giving players. If he gets that in his consulting business, good, because that's his living. But when he writes silly things like this, he only does so to build his brand. Think of what kind of moron it would take to agree to pay him even $25/meeting for video poker information--nearly all of which is available in cheap books or thru simple common sense.

After losing $200/hr. in the vp machines, I learned all I needed to know.

By the way, I would be very happy to speak for 15 minutes to your business dinner, or be the keynote speaker at your convention for only $1,500 plus travel if needed.

Maybe $200 an hour is his "opening bid" and he negotiates. I bet he would take less under the right circumstances.

200 an hour for what? Only a fool would share a winning system or technique.(sorry Rob) If you are making money shut up and play. What a douche .

Originally Posted by quahaug View Post
    200 an hour for what? Only a fool would share a winning system or technique.(sorry Rob) If you are making money shut up and play. What a douche .
    The winning system was already well known and discovered long before Dancer came on the scene. Think of going to school. You don't learn anything new to the world, however you have someone that will educate you much faster than you learn on your own. College professors make good wages for repeating what's already in textbooks.

Times are hard right now, my friends. LOL!

Originally Posted by quahaug View Post
    If some people are willing to purchase his expertise and it's value, why should he give it away? If you had a similar investment in your VP portfolio, wouldn't you want a further return on your investment? It's a sound business decision. By pricing it @$200/hr, he's assured that the buyer is a serious client and the session is not a total waste of his time.

Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
    By pricing it @$200/hr, he's assured that the buyer is a serious client and the session is not a total waste of his time.
    This is an interesting idea you present. Would it be a "waste of his time" if he gave a client a session at $50 an hour?

Does he give better lessons at $200 an hour than a $50 an hour?

And if Bob Dancer can charge $200 an hour for video poker lessons, should my kidney doctor charge me $1,000 for a 15-minute periodic check-up?

He's never had any of these "clients" and anyone who pays for advice on how to win playing video poker is a fool. Dancer is a successful consultant and I've read where that's his going rate in the Compton business. He only uses that language in columns and forum banter to help sell himself. No fault in that. Too bad he is very dishonest in portraying how he does nothing but "win" playing vp, when it's more than obvious the only reason he's even able to play is because of his success as a businessman.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    This is an interesting idea you present. Would it be a "waste of his time" if he gave a client a session at $50 an hour?

Does he give better lessons at $200 an hour than a $50 an hour?

And if Bob Dancer can charge $200 an hour for video poker lessons, should my kidney doctor charge me $1,000 for a 15-minute periodic check-up?
    Only Bob can determine the value of one hour out of his day. If he's able to make that same amount by playing instead of teaching, then $200 is appropriate.

As far as your kidney doctor, he could charge you $1,000 but he will be reimbursed considerably less than that by your insurance. And if you have no insurance, you wouldn't go to a guy who charges $1,000.

Too bad there's none of this insurance available for when someone goes to Dancer for advice on winning....

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Too bad there's none of this insurance available for when someone goes to Dancer for advice on winning....
    So, I take it that you offer insurance to go along with your advice? If it's better than Dancer's, I would think you'd back it up with some sort of guarantee / insurance plan.

If Dancer can charge it and collect it why not. People pay me more per hour than I would ever believe I'm worth. But there are plenty worse than me getting paid more. Sucker born every minute.

So, I take it that you offer insurance to go along with your advice? If it's better than Dancer's, I would think you'd back it up with some sort of guarantee / insurance plan.
    Stuff like this puzzles me. A guy goes from a loser to a winner after tons of research and then tries to help others FOR FREE, and another charges out the kazoo for advice, and guess who gets mocked most of the time?

Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Stuff like this puzzles me. A guy goes from a loser to a winner after tons of research and then tries to help others FOR FREE, and another charges out the kazoo for advice, and guess who gets mocked most of the time?
    Rob suggests that anyone who pays for Dancer's advice should be insured because said advice is faulty. All I'm suggesting is that if Rob's advice on how to play is better than Dancer's, then he (Rob) would offer a guarantee and/or similar insurance because he continually presents his own product as being foolproof. .. or is it just another case of Rob's mouth writing a check his a$$ can't cash?

Rob suggests that anyone who pays for Dancer's advice should be insured because said advice is faulty. All I'm suggesting is that if Rob's advice on how to play is better than Dancer's, then he (Rob) would offer a guarantee and/or similar insurance because he continually presents his own product as being foolproof. .. or is it just another case of Rob's mouth writing a check his a$$ can't cash?
    I've never heard him say his product was foolproof. I have read that if you set a loss limit on the bad days and win goals on the good days that the wins will more than offset the losses. So some days you can leave a loser.

Thread Information