Thread: When the "wrong cards" are the right cards.

I think we all have stories about holding the "right cards" that were the wrong cards because we missed a big jackpot making the "correct play."

A couple of years ago playing 9/5 Double Double Bonus I was dealt:

10d Jd Jc X X and I held the pair of jacks. Had I held the Jack and Ten of diamonds I would have had the royal.

About five years ago playing 9/5 DDB I was dealt Ah 10h X X X and I just held the ace, and the three royal cards came up on the draw.

A couple of weeks ago I was dealt:

10s Qs Jc X X and I held the QJ and on the draw came the Js Ks As which would have been the royal.

I hate when that happens. You console yourself by saying to yourself "you made the right play." But you drive home saying to yourself "you idiot."

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    I think we all have stories about holding the "right cards" that were the wrong cards because we missed a big jackpot making the "correct play."

A couple of years ago playing 9/5 Double Double Bonus I was dealt:

10d Jd Jc X X and I held the pair of jacks. Had I held the Jack and Ten of diamonds I would have had the royal.

About five years ago playing 9/5 DDB I was dealt Ah 10h X X X and I just held the ace, and the three royal cards came up on the draw.

A couple of weeks ago I was dealt:

10s Qs Jc X X and I held the QJ and on the draw came the Js Ks As which would have been the royal.

I hate when that happens. You console yourself by saying to yourself "you made the right play." But you drive home saying to yourself "you idiot."
    Thanks for posting. A few months ago I had the As ,10s, 9s x x and just held the A, 10 and GOT the Royal-in ddbp. It's the only hold I disagree with Rob. I ALWAYS hold the A, 10 matching-or A, whatever matching. Once I actually got 4 10's!

Chances are you would not have hit the royals had you made the other choices. It would have changed your timing. But don't fret, there are probably other times where you would have had the royal due to different timing.

I've had 3-4 of those "big ones that got away" that I noticed which means I've probably had a few more. Had one just a couple of weeks ago.

Originally Posted by arcimede$ View Post
    Chances are you would not have hit the royals had you made the other choices. It would have changed your timing. But don't fret, there are probably other times where you would have had the royal due to different timing.

I've had 3-4 of those "big ones that got away" that I noticed which means I've probably had a few more. Had one just a couple of weeks ago.
    Correct. Playing the "what if" in hindsight means nothing in reality but is merely aggravating fun. I learned long ago not to knock myself out dwelling on these things or how many foyals I had during a session. My blood pressure thanks me.

Originally Posted by arcimede$ View Post
    Chances are you would not have hit the royals had you made the other choices. It would have changed your timing.
    I wish I knew which video poker machines use continuous shuffle and which deal replacement cards off the top of the deck. Not that it makes a difference, of course, but more out of curiosity.

Actually, I think continuous shuffle machines are "fairer" because they give all replacement cards an equal chance to be chosen on the draw.

Thread Information