Thread: Let's Play "I'm So Old..."

I'm writing this a few hours after Thanksgiving dinner, and I'm having my second Thanksgiving dinner. (I thought I'd get a head start on the leftovers.)

My son and his girlfriend joined Shelley and me and while we were waiting for the stuffing to be "just right" in the oven, I showed him an old picture that my sister in New Jersey found and sent me last week. It was a picture from when I worked at WKQW Radio in Nanuet, New York in 1969. I'm sitting at a WKQW microphone with a script in my hand. We joked about how I looked then, and how my son who is about 30 looks like I did back then.

And that brought on a lot of jokes and ribbing about age. I realized that in a few years I can take early retirement, because I'm that old.

So, let's play, "I'm So Old."

I'm so old I can remember when Boston Blackie was on TV. (Look that one up you kids.)

I'm so old I can remember a letter only needed a 3-cent stamp.

I'm so old I can remember calling up information in another state to ask the operator how was the weather?

I remember the original Mickey Mouse Club, and how I had to have a Jimmy Dodd guitar for Christmas, and I wanted Annette Funicello to be my girlfriend.

I can remember when the hottest toys for Christmas included the Big Bruiser tow truck, and Mr. Machine.

I'm so old I remember that Stratego and Risk were the hot board games. (Board games? Do you play those with a Wii system? No.)

I remember having a manual computer. That was a slide rule. In fact, along with the photo from WKQW my sister sent along my slide rule from junior high school. She also sent along my high school prom picture with Penny. Penny was really cute. What ever happened to Penny?

I'm so old I can remember when Man From U.N.C.L.E. was on TV and the two secret agents and when Robert Vaughn came to sign autographs at the W.T. Grant department store in my home town and every teenage girl lined up for a chance to see him in person.

I remember gas at less than 33-cents a gallon. And I remember when every gas station had full service for no additional cost and they pumped the gas, cleaned your windshield, checked your oil and your tire pressure.

I remember when movie theaters had petitions for moviegoers to sign to block "pay television." That "pay television" is what we call "Cable TV" today.

Happy holidays, everyone! And I hope that years from now you can look back and say with fond memories, "I'm so old I can remember when...."

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Mendelson; 11-26-2010 at 12:47 AM.

Thread Information