Thread: Tipping the Shooter at craps

We've had discussions about tipping dealers and tipping slot floor people and cage workers. But I don't think we've ever discussed tipping other players who make us win money -- in particular the shooters at craps tables.

I think every craps player has been at a table when someone has a tremendous hand or turn with the dice and everyone at the table wins.

I was once at a craps table at Caesars Palace where a "don't pass shooter" was throwing $1,000 chips (yellow chips) to the shooters if they established a couple of numbers (his don't come bets) and then sevened-out. This high roller could make a couple of hundred thousand dollars with each seven-out and he was tipping the shooters $1,000 for making him money.

(I was at the table and wanted to get in on the action... but I didn't seven out for a long time and cost the high roller nearly a million bucks. But that's another story.)

I once threw a $25 tip to a shooter who only made a passline bet, and didn't have any money for other bets -- and she had a great turn with the dice. Everyone else at the table made hundreds or thousands of dollars while she won about $100. I thought throwing the gal a $25 chip as a thank you was the right thing to do. I actually felt sorry that she couldn't win more while some of the players were winning a month's salary on her hand.

If I am at a craps table and I have a fire bet, and the shooter doesn't have a fire bet, but the shooter makes all six numbers -- you'd better believe I am going to give that shooter 10% of my win.

I've been at tables many times when players will throw a "hard way bet" for the shooter. Actually, this is fairly column.

So what do you do? Do you ever tip other shooters at the craps table? Anyone ever tip you? Should a high roller who makes a lot of money off your rolls tip you?

I got 2 good ones for you Alan. I'm at the Flamingo and the tables suck and there are 2 obnoxious guys at the other end of the table on the don't and they're winning big. I have to leave for the airport and have 30 dollars left. The dice come to them and they pass. So I take the dice with my last $30 and roll for one hour 20 minutes and miss my plane. But midway through the roll, six has been the point for quite some time. 1 guy says everyone bet the hard 6 for the shooter. They all throw nickles or quarters in---next roll hard six. Later in the roll, I had wiped out the don't guys (over $30,000) I toss a nickle to that end and say give them $5 to pass.

We have a Palestinian guy that bets huge here in Chicago. Several times I have had big rolls for him and he'll toss me a $500 chip. I always tell him "you love to make the jew dance for $500". All in good nature of course--but I do watch my back-lol.

Thread Information