Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Poker machine glitch: cheating or not ??

The Silverton....GOOD!

My opinion is that the player was playing the $1 denomination, he hit an $820 winner, he didn't play or win a double-up, so he is entitled to exactly that and no more. It's the same as if he were playing against a live dealer and the dealer made a stupid mistake by paying him ten times his win. If the eye-in-the-sky caught it, he would have been required to give the extra money back to the house. In this case, Kane knowingly & purposely exploited a house gaff that was never intended to be put in play on the floor that way, and is guilty of fraud for taking the money when his original bet could never have WON $8200.

Not sure I understand the glitch but if they put the machine out there to be played then play it. It's their problem, not the players.

The glitch is that if after a winning hand the double up option activates (which means you have to push the 1st card hold button for YES or the 5th card hold button for NO) and if you feed a bill or ticket into the bill acceptor, that does two things: It is the,same as saying you don't want to double up, and it allows you to change the denomination you were playing before it accumulates the win.

That means you had no right to such a win. You are entitled to $820 and no more.

Whats a double up option? I saw it once pressed no and don't prompt me for it again but I never did know what it is.(which is why I would not play it)

It's a common option, and one you can always ask and have activated on the machine you're playing.

You get a flush for 25 credits. If the option is activated, you can hit yes or no when it asks if you want to go double or nothing. If you choose YES, five cards are dealt with only the first one showing. To win 50 credits you have to beat that card by picking one of the four remaining cards. If it's lower you lose what you won on the flush. Push and it gives you another chance but you can say no if you want. And when you push NO for the first time, it does allow you to choose not to see the option again.

One of the hands that may have led to my being banned from playing vp at Harrahs on the Strip before all the conglomerates were formed, was when I was dealt a $2 royal, and suddenly, the double-up option appeared. It was odd because it never appeared on any other winner, but I later discovered it was only set to appear on automatically held jackpot hands. I thought that was pretty sneaky, and here's why. With all my discipline and experience, I was first shocked at a dealt royal, then the fact that the double-up option activated further discombobulated me. I was so surprised that for an unknown reason, I mistakenly rushed and hit YES instead of NO.

I of course called for a manager etc. to deactivate this, and after arguing for at least 20 minutes--and losing the argument while pissing off the bosses--I had no choice but to choose a card to beat the machine's 9. Well I pulled a face card and they had to pay me $16000 instead of $8000. I laughed at and mocked them when they paid me. On top of that, during the argument a crowd had gathered around us, and they were very sympathetic with my side of this. And after winning the double-up, cheers rang out.

The guy knew the machine was faulty and took advantage of it. No doubt about that. However, is that a crime? I've never heard of a law for taking advantage of another person's/company's mistake. If you walk up to an ATM and ask for $100 and it gives you $10,000, are you guilty of a crime? If a clerk at a store (or bank) gives you more money back from a purchase than they should have, are you guilty of a crime? I'll bet the latter situation has happened to every one of us.

In your ATM scenario, if the money isn't returned and it's known who took advantage of such a "mistake" it's felony robbery. You're funny arci. Trying to say the opposite of what I do makes you look just the opposite of that self-proclaimed "tested genius" label. Ask your wife,about it

Poor speedo is so upset he can't make a comment without bringing my wife into it. If anyone can't see the malignant narcissism in these comments they are blind. Right, Alan?

Originally Posted by arcimede$ View Post
    The guy knew the machine was faulty and took advantage of it. No doubt about that. However, is that a crime? I've never heard of a law for taking advantage of another person's/company's mistake. If you walk up to an ATM and ask for $100 and it gives you $10,000, are you guilty of a crime? If a clerk at a store (or bank) gives you more money back from a purchase than they should have, are you guilty of a crime? I'll bet the latter situation has happened to every one of us.
    There are many instances of banks putting extra money into accounts in error and all that extra money is not a gift to the account holder for them to keep. In fact, here's the perfect storm that didn't turn out perfectly:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/atm-e...1#.UYUn_rUm4WM

Vic, you have to excuse arci's misguided ignorance here. I made fun of his special needs wife again, and as we've seen so often and to my delight, it disrupts him

If a clerk at a store (or bank) gives you more money back from a purchase than they should have, are you guilty of a crime? I'll bet the latter situation has happened to every one of us.
    If I am given incorrect change I always point it out to the clerk because I know they will be held responsible for the shortage later. The same thing when the bank puts extra money in my account. This happened to me about 14 or 15 years ago:

My BofA statement arrives in the mail and my checking account didn't balance. It said I had an extra $200 in it. I went through my check register and I just couldn't find my error. So I called the bank. The bank told me that I made a $200 cash deposit at an ATM. Right then I knew the bank made an error. Back in those days I never put cash in an ATM. Remember, this was years ago when checks and cash would go into an envelope -- they weren't the ATMs like today that actually counted the currency.

I told the bank they made a mistake -- and that I would never put cash in an ATM. I said the money belongs to someone else. The BofA rep said they would investigate. Nine months later I checked back and they said they found no error. So I added the $200 to my balance.

Alan, I have corrected clerks many times myself. The point was, however, when is it a crime vs. when is it not. The purpose of my analogies was to get people thinking a little broader. Of course, speedo jumps in and demonstrates his jealousy once again. Quite humorous.

Alan, I have corrected clerks many times myself. The point was, however, when is it a crime vs. when is it not. The purpose of my analogies was to get people thinking a little broader. Of course, speedo jumps in and demonstrates his jealousy once again. Quite humorous.
    Translation: after another exhaustive search on the Internet with no results to post, arci comes on with his bbbbbut....a-humma a-humma so he can think he doesn't look as dumb as everyone sees him as.

Again, absolutely HILARIOUS!

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Translation: after another exhaustive search on the Internet with no results to post, arci comes on with his bbbbbut....a-humma a-humma so he can think he doesn't look as dumb as everyone sees him as.

Again, absolutely HILARIOUS!
    Another comment by speedo ... another lie. No internet searches were involved ... gnaw, gnaw

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Vic, you have to excuse arci's misguided ignorance here. I made fun of his special needs wife again, and as we've seen so often and to my delight, it disrupts him
    No need to try and explain. I can clearly see who is ignorant.

Haha! Talk about wounding two birds with the same stone....And along with the fun of watching Bob Dancer's life being ripped apart by video poker while having every observation I've ever made about him and his sales-oriented BS come to logical fruition--this is like hitting the
    gambling TRIFECTA....The PERFECT STORM!!!

Resurrecting this old thread for an update.

Nestor & Kane cleared of all federal charges:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...eo-poker-case/

Did you happen to go back on this thread and look at who said what?

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    Did you happen to go back on this thread and look at who said what?
    Yes, I have. Since the federal prosecutors admitted they were "overplaying their hand" by going after Nestor & Kane, it looks like the final scoreboard for this thread turned out to be:

arcimede$: 1 (for saying they shouldn't be charged, and the feds agreed)
    quahaug: 1 (ditto)
    Rob Singer: 0 (for saying they should have been charged, but legal professionals saw otherwise)

My question to you, Alan and others, is do you believe Rob's story about the $2 dealt royal and the accidental double up? Maybe we can give Rob a point for this one to make this a three-way tie?

Thread Information