Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Under The Dome on CBS

Now that Revolution on NBC is off for the summer, I think the Sci Fi lovers will switch to CBS to watch Under The Dome, the sci fi thriller based on the Stephen King book.

Go to the show's website www.underthedome.com and watch the previews (if you haven't already seen them on TV). But after the preview, enter your address and zip code and you will see where you live is "under the dome." It's a nice promotional touch, CBS.

Great first episode but already we know that when someone has a seizure and starts to mutter about stars that it's a clue to the story. Lots of sub-plots in this, and since there won't be much inter-action with the outside world there will have to be a lot of sub plots under the dome to keep the story interested. So if you think this is going to be just a series about making the dome go away you're mistaken.

I was talking to a friend who suggested that the dome is meant to protect this town to keep it from being destroyed in some galactic catastrophe.

I was thinking about last night's episode -- episode #2. We now know that the dome is penetrable -- by radio waves in certain places and by water. Because water can get through then oxygen gets through so the people under the dome will not suffocate.

None of the "dome people" had a seizure in episode #2 so we didn't get any more clues about "the stars" but in the previews we see more seizures in episode #3.

After two episodes I'll say it's a good show... but if Revolution were on in the same time slot, I'd be watching Revolution.

Watching tonight's episode: it's getting more interesting because we are finding out more about the residents and how they "change" being cooped up under the Dome. Some of it is trite: a police officer cracks; the local newspaper editor (who apparently can't publish her paper -- what no back up generator, or is the printing press outside the dome?) has a predictable back-story of screwing up in the big city; and of course the "hit man" Barbie just by coincidence is given temporary housing by the widow of the man he came to town to rub out.

Okay, I'm sticking with it. Still a good show but I really look forward to the next season of Revolution on NBC.

The July 15th episode had to compete with news coverage of the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin death trial, but if you missed the episode you didn't miss much. Much of the episode was about an illness that swept through the community but in the end enough antibiotics were found and the town survived. There really weren't any clues given about the dome and in the next episode (according to the previews) the military will fire a rocket at the dome.

The beautiful local newspaper editor realizes now that her house guest might have something to do with her husband's disappearance, so that sub plot will continue.

What surprised me is that two of the teens who had seizures linked to the dome made a cell phone video of the seizure they experienced together yet they kept the video a secret. You'd think that two smart kids would say -- hey, look at what happened to us and what's this all about? But it appears that they believe the "dome" wants them to keep it a secret and they are doing that. I guess that will keep the series running longer.

The July 22nd episode was the best one yet -- because it really concentrated on the dome. Sure we had some developments in the personal stories of those under the dome, but the major thrust of the story was about the dome. What is it? What powers does it have? What impact it is having on the rest of the world (magnetic, threat to world peace)? And how to get rid of it?

Tonight's episode was a big improvement from last week's. And now I look forward to the show improving in week's ahead because last week I was afraid this show was going down hill.

I am certainly glad that CBS puts episodes on its website www.cbs.com just in case CBS is dropped by Time Warner Cable. Of course we shouldn't blame Time Warner alone. The dispute is about CBS wanted bigger payments from Time Warner Cable so that TWC can carry CBS programming on its cable services.

In the meantime the last episode this past Monday was pretty good but in typical TV episodic drama style the problem was created, the suffering was presented, and the problem was resolved all in one show. This time the crisis was over the town's water supply: The water supply was cut off when a truck smashed into the pipe from a water tower, there was rioting and looting for available water jugs at the local market, the local farmer with the well wasn't willing to freely share, but then it rained and all is well back under the dome.

But at last the two kids who may have the key to the whole dome mystery have finally told someone about their seizures and their chant about the stars that they mutter during the seizures.

It's a good story, it's entertaining TV, but I really would like to see a conclusion.

If widespread illness can be cured in one episode, and if a water crisis can be solved in one episode, how many episodes does it take to lift the dome? I hope it happens before Revolution returns to NBC.

I watched Under The Dome Monday night but not on KCBS. I saw it on the CBS.com website and it was available online shortly after the TV broadcast ended. I didn't see it on TV because Time Warner is blocking CBS because of the dispute over fees for putting CBS on the cable TV system. Somebody should lock up the negotiators in a dome of their own so they end the dispute quickly. Maybe if they are cut off from the rest of the world the dispute will get resolved.

In the meantime this was a great episode. So much of the back story is now having an impact on the current story. And we got a peek at what might be the source of the Dome. But some of our favorite characters are dying off in the show. And you just knew that Barbie would some how shack up with Julia. (I want to scream at the TV "keep your hands off my Julia" because I think I have a crush on her. LOL)

This latest episode about the "war" with the farmers over water and crops and the confrontation between Junior and his father really was a very dramatic episode. It really had some worthwhile drama while it also helped push the sci-fi plot about the dome and the "egg" as well. But the main characters are getting killed and dying off and either new "stars" will be created or this series can't extend into a second season. Frankly, I hope it doesn't extend into a second season. You can drag something out until boredom sets in.

The Labor Day show is giving us an idea about how the series will end: the "Dome" is some sort of "guardian angel" for the town, it seems.

One thing that troubled me during the last couple of weeks was that there was no contact with the outside world. Wouldn't you think that there would be someone on the outisde world holding up signs trying to communicate with those on the inside? Don't you think someone on the inside would be at the wall holding up signs to communicate with those on the outside? Would the outside world stop investigating? Stop probing? Stop examining the Dome -- especially after the "gas bomb" attempt failed to bring it down?

But getting back to the "guardian angel Dome" -- was it put there to cleanse the town by some high power? And will the series end with that high power warning others that they will also be put in a Dome if they don't clean up their own acts?

Now I am getting the impression that the dome is some government project gone haywire. And I am also getting the impression that there is going to be a second season. Gosh... both of those will disappoint me. As gorgeous as Julia Shumway (Rachelle Lefevre) is, I'm not sure I can stand a second season.

Okay, what kind of season finale was that? Answer: it wasn't. It's just a pause before another run... or it is an ending which leaves you to imagine what the ending is. Is the dome coming down or was that the dome in the final shot still intact?

Under The Dome is supposed to return to CBS for a summer run. Preview is on YouTube here:

Because of this thread, I started to watch season 1. I kind of wanted to watch this last year, but just forgot about it until I felt I had missed too much.

I have watched the first 7 episodes (of the 13 produced), and I think it's a pretty good show. I am interested to see the other 6, as well as watching season 2 starting on June 30th. I'm watching about one episode per day.

My one criticism of the show is how (at least for the first 7 episodes I've watched), everyone continues life as usual despite the presence of the dome. They go to their jobs, they respect the authority of the very small police force, they don't immediately hoard food/supplies, etc. I mean, finally in like episode 6 or 7, panic set in and people broke into the supermarkets to hoard things, but it took way too long. But why is anyone respecting the police? Why is the city councilman given respect/power? How is the guy with access to the only clean water in town allowed to basically control everyone and hold the town hostage to his demands, when the people could easily overpower him for the town's collective good?

It's giving too much credit for people's respect for law and order in times of crisis. I mean, we have gouging and looting when there's something simple like a blackout or an earthquake. Imagine something like the dome coming down, where people are trapped by a mysterious force? There would be pandemonium, and everyone's first thought would be hoarding supplies. The rulers would be the ones with the most weapons and alliances would quickly form.

It is based on a huge Stephen King novel (1074 pages), but differs from it a lot. For example, the lesbian couple with the teenage daughter, central to the TV story, does not exist in the book. The teenage girl Norrie Calvert exists in the book, but is only a minor character, and she was living in the town with heterosexual parents, rather than passing through. I have to think the lesbian couple angle was added by someone on the writing team who wanted to needlessly squeeze a positive gay role model into the show.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Watching season 2 now.

It's two episodes in.

SPOILER ALERT

So they killed off the Angie character, which I feel is a mistake. She was one of the main characters of the story.

I also think it's fairly stupid how Big Jim went from the flawed-but-not-evil "leader" of the town, to murderous villain, back to the flawed-but-not-evil leader, simply because he was willing to kill himself for his son. Somehow everyone forgives him and interacts with him normally, including people he tried to kill at the end of Season 1. Pretty ridiculous.

Didn't like that Maxine character they introduced near the end of Season 1. Actually glad they killed that one off.

I actually find it annoying when they introduce new "reclusive" characters to the series at this point. There's no way that would have happened in reality. No one would be keeping to themselves if a big dome formed over their town, especially given the uncertainty of resources.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

I was curious what you were going to say, Dan. But I think the most difficult thing to come to grips with is that the time frame that the town has been under the dome is only two weeks.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    I was curious what you were going to say, Dan. But I think the most difficult thing to come to grips with is that the time frame that the town has been under the dome is only two weeks.
    I agree.

That seems really weird.

Are you still watching?

I no longer make an "appointment" to watch it on TV. I watch online at some point during the week.

Monday, July 28 episode.

Probably one of the best. Now... there are a lot of loose ends, but this is Sci Fi, so loose ends are OK. But this episode brought us back to the "dome" mystery more than many previous episodes, and it really has me looking forward to next week.

You just have to love the ending with the discovery of a tunnel. Is it the tunnel out? Or the tunnel to where another egg is buried?

Thread Information