Thread: Yes, my electronic car key went into the clothes washer.

Yes, I feel like a jerk.

Yes, I thought I dried it before using it. But a week after the washing the remote door lock/unlock stopped working while the ignition function still works.

But it's only a matter of time before the ignition function also fails.

What makes it worse is that this is the second time I've done this.

When these keys cost about $185 each why can't the cases be waterproofed? They do have waterproof cases for cell phones now.

It's all very easily defined by the math Alan. You found yourself on the wrong side of the "Bell curve". Probability theory dictates you should have expected that it would eventually happen over the "long term". And even the best " advantage electronic car key experts" who pride themselves on using "nothing but the facts" will tell you it can happen to the best of them....but not to the one who TELLS you this, of course!

But please don't fret; should one of these "optimal car key strategists" actually come on here and admit it has in fact happened to him, he will always caveat it with just what his base expects to hear in order to put their anxious fears to rest--that it all worked out in the end, and they can all breathe a bit easier and sleep a little more comfortably tonight.

Fortunately Rob, I don't have to worry much about the math since my loss limit is $185.

But....But....how can you say with a straight face that you don't have to worry about the math? Yikes! Isn't EVERYTHING bounded and completely defined by math? The coin flip, the street lights, olive oil, video poker--and now your electronic key. It's right there in front of you! You'd be delusional not to see it my way because I only deal in facts. It's simple mathematics Alan. Why are you trying to con everyone into believing something that just can't be? As a "tested genius" I can tell you that you are WRONG, and you HAVE to believe me!! Please don't make me go out of my mind on this too. I've already got one sad sack here, and another one may just put me over the edge again!

Well Rob, my math is right but my knowledge of the cost of replacement keys is very lacking. I just got back from the dealership and the cost of just one replacement key for my 2003 Mercedes (a ten year old car) is $274.68 which is almost a one-month payment on a new car.

Now I do have a spare, and I am using that spare, but it has been used before and after on-and-off use for about ten years it's not working as "perfectly" as it should and sometimes needs an extra press or two to lock or unlock the car. Batteries are OK and were changed just two weeks ago.

Now's the time all AP's call their PHANTOM BUCKS to the rescue! Even THEY at times lose more than they planned on

I just picked up my new Mercedes $274.68 key. (The key was delivered to the dealership -- and I had to pick it up there. It's part of Mercedes' security not to mail keys to homes or offices._ And here's what a $274.68 car key looks like (it's the one on the left):

Name:  20130715_175155.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  91.2 KB

Notice the new metallic rim on the key which my older key doesn't have. The new key is also slightly larger and slightly heavier.

The metal trim makes the key easier to see. and makes it slightly heavier so maybe next time I will realize it is in my pocket before I throw my jeans in the wash.

But I wonder if the metal trim added to the price? I've bought replacement keys before which is why I originally thought the price would be about $185... not almost the cost of a monthly car payment.

Thread Information