Thread: High Speed Train Project to Vegas is Dead. Maybe not?

There is conflicting news about the XpressWest high speed rail project that is supposed to operate a bullet train from Victorville (about 90 minutes north of Los Angeles) to Las Vegas.

About a week ago the US Department of Transportation said the bullet train project did not protect American jobs because it was not going to use 100% made in USA equipment and materials. So the DOT said the project would not qualify for the massive loans that the private business wanted.

Then, yesterday, there is a report that Sen Harry Reid of Nevada who has been supporting the project will try to save it.

Here is a link to the bullet train's news page on its website: http://www.xpresswest.com/news.html

Personally I thought it was a bad idea only because the train's route started in Victorville -- about one-third of the trip by car to Vegas. Sure you could have other rail service from LA and Orange County to Victorville but changing trains and coordinating trains just adds to much to the process.

The conventional X Train which will leave from Fullerton in Orange County and not make a stop in LA is really no better for Los Angeles County residents -- because for LA residents it means getting to Fullerton to get on the X Train for its five and a half hour party run to North Las Vegas.

So far the big winners in the battle of the trains appear to be, in this order:

1. Southwest Airlines
    2. Barstow, where there are plenty of lower priced gas stations
    3. Baker, where there are plenty of fast food drive-thrus about 90 minutes south of Vegas

In other words, I don't know if any train service is going to really be running anytime soon.

XTRN shares closed at 6-cents today. The stock is down 25% in the past two weeks, and is now down 11% from a year earlier. I can't remember the stock price being lower. Next big question is how will they pay for a new train station with platforms to serve nine trains in North Las Vegas?

I heard on the news today that they lost the bid to get $5B from Federal Gov. Pretty sad.

Originally Posted by Brooklynite View Post
    I heard on the news today that they lost the bid to get $5B from Federal Gov. Pretty sad.
    I just want to be clear about this: It wasn't the X Train that lost the bid for the government loan.

The company that failed to get the government loan is the company that wants to build the high speed bullet train between Victorville and Vegas. That is XpressWest which has a similar sounding name.

The X Train is not a high speed train, but rather a conventional passenger train that will run on the existing tracks now used by freight trains. The X Train is not seeking any federal money and is funded only through private sources including the sale of stock.

Thread Information