In another thread, russkg wrote:

Originally Posted by russkg View Post
My favorite power press is start with a $30 6 and 8: 1st hit power press $1 to $66, 2nd hit power press $7 and your are in black chips at $150! 3rd hit, same bet or go to $300. From then on its on to the table limit! thanks again Allan. Great Forum!
I have a different strategy for pressing. I like to get back in the rail (win back) my iniital outlay on each new shooter, and then press using profits.

For example, if I am at a $10 table, I will typically start with a $10 passline bet and play full odds, and place all the numbers across.

Let's say the point is 4. My initial outlay will be:

Passline plus 3X odds = $40
Place bets = $54 across
total outlay = $94 which is almost 10% of a $1,000 budget for a craps session.

Let me give you some examples to see how long it takes me to "win back" $94, and this is just picking certain "rolls" out of thin air:

EXAMPLE "A"
First roll is a 6, pays $14
Second roll is a 8, pays $14
Third roll is a craps, no pay
Fourth roll is a 10, pays $18
Fifth roll is a 5, pays $14
Sixth roll is a 5 again, pays $14
Seventh roll is a 6 again, pays $14

At this point, in Example A, I've won $88. I still have not recouped my initial outlay of $94. I would need "one more number" to start pressing. Then I generally press from the inside moving out, by one unit (in this case half of the bet) so that a $12 bet on the 6 would now be $18.

EXAMPLE "B" (again using a point of 4 with max odds)
First roll is a 6, pays $14
Second roll is a 10, pays $18
Third roll is a winner 4, pays $70

At this point in Example B, I've won $102.

I would make the same $10 passline bet for the next come out roll, and I would wait for the shooter to throw one more number before pressing up one unit starting from the inside and moving out.

Unfortunately, most shooters don't throw enough numbers so that I can start pressing. But by waiting till my initial outlay on each shooter has been won and is back in my rail, I am not pressing my bets prematurely and not throwing good money after bad.