Thread: Flat tire on the 405 Freeway during rush hour

The most embarrassing moment is getting the check at a restaurant with a special date and finding out you either don't have enough cash or your credit card is maxed out.

The second most embarrassing moment is getting a flat tire on the 405 Freeway during rush hour and being the cause of a huge traffic jam.

Today I dodged the bullet of the second most embarrassing moment. Yes, I had a flat tire on the 405 Freeway during the afternoon rush hour but I was alerted to the tire going flat by the driver next to me and I managed to quickly and safely pull off onto a shoulder by an on ramp and I did not block traffic.

Thank you Lord.

Now, the fun part of my story. I immediately pulled out my cell phone to call Triple A and while I was talking to Triple A the Metro Freeway Road Service pulled up behind me. And the driver/mechanic immediately went to work. I cancelled AAA.

But there was a problem. Metro didn't have the little device to remove my lug nut covers. So a second Metro truck came along -- he didn't have it either. Meanwhile, we couldn't find it in my trunk with the spare parts that Mercedes gives me (fuses, first aid kit, tool kit, full size spare, spare lug nuts, etc.) So changing the tire was on hold.

I tried calling Mercedes road side service -- and I was on hold for twenty minutes. I tried calling the dealership who said "did you try Mercedes road side service?"

Finally I found what looked like a giant hair clip and is indeed the device used to remove the chrome lug nut covers.

Tire was changed. And I was on my way. No charge, and tipping is not permitted. I offered but both guys declined. I put the money in their hands, and both guys returned it to me. I said take the money -- and they said "No sir, thank you."

Photos below: two guys quickly changing my tire without any interruption to the normal slow 405 jam, and the "clip" for removing the lug nut covers.

Name:  20130729_173834.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  96.1 KBName:  20130729_173857.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  94.3 KB
    Last edited by Alan Mendelson; 07-29-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Thread Information