I haven't been part of the "dating scene" in quite awhile but I got into a discussion with a single friend and we were talking about where to meet people... besides online which is probably the #1 place to search these days.

I was surprised to find out that Facebook of all sites has turned into a "dating site" because Facebook users are checking "friends" and "friends of friends" to find out their status (single, married, it's complicated) and then making friends and "likes" as appropriate.

Okay, besides using Facebook and the usual online sites, where are other places to meet and mingle?

If I recall the conversation here are the best and worst places to meet. "Best" meaning places where you are likely to find someone interesting or exciting or appealing and "worst" where they just not be the people you are looking for:

BEST PLACES TO MEET

1. Gyms. Obviously, you can get a good look at them and give them points for trying to shape up or for having a great shape.

2. Investment companies and stock broker offices. They probably have money.

3. Art galleries and antique stores and high end fashion boutiques. You not only can tell a lot about their style by what they are looking at. I think there is a different between someone looking at a Monet and someone looking at a Warhol.

4. Shopping Malls. You might feel more comfortable at the Forum Shops at Caesars Palace or you might feel more comfortable at the mall where there is a Walmart or a Target.

5. Coffee shops. Still a great place to meet and because many coffee shops today also offer food items you can get an idea of what they like to eat. Which brings us to....

6. Supermarkets. When you see what he/she is buying you can really get a very good idea of if you'll be compatible.

WORST PLACES TO MEET

1. In the court house lobby outside the divorce court room. Bad vibes from the start. It could take years for him/her to get over the grief and the financial loss. Stay away.

2. The IRS. Employees or taxpayers. It doesn't matter. Too many possible problems.

3. Bank lobbies. This is a coin flip, really. He/she might be there about rolling over those jumbo CDs, or he/she might be there because they bounced a check.

4. Donut shops, fast food restaurants. While I personally go to donut shops and fast food restaurants, I'm not exactly the best example of a male physique... if you know what I mean?

5. Driving school, addiction meetings. I think it's good to go to driving school to take care of your speeding tickets. I commend people who deal with their problems. I just don't want to have to drive you around if you lose your license or deal with you if you can't deal with your own devil. Good luck and God bless.