Thread: Two weekends without CBS, KCBS and KCAL on Time Warner Cable

I can't believe that there still isn't a resolution between Time Warner Cable and CBS. We just had another weekend without KCBS and KCAL on TWC cable.

It has had a big impact on my TV viewing and on my business and the business of some of my clients who have Infomercials that run on the stations here in Southern California. That's the bad news.

The good news is that it probably slammed one of my competitors whose Infomercial TV show (like my Best Buys Show) runs on KCAL. They lost a big chunk of their TV audience. CBS admits that it is losing 25% of its audience because it is not on TWC cable and it has given discounts to its advertisers to compensate them for the drop in audience. The discounts have helped my clients deal with the disruption, but they'd rather have the audience.

Now, you have to wonder about the consequences of the blackout and the discounts given to advertisers. It wouldn't surprise me if a lingering stalemate will mean layoffs at CBS and a loss of subscribers for TWC. I know it has impacted my advertisers. Everybody is losing. I even feel bad for my competitors.

No one can plan for disruptions like this -- the same way no one plans for strikes by unions or lockouts by management.

I just can't imagine that these big multi-million-dollar-year executives can't resolve this? In the meantime, I won't have to rush home to watch Under The Dome Monday night, because I won't be able to see it on TV... I'll just watch it delayed a bit online.

There is an online report about WCBS, the CBS TV station in New York City, losing political ad revenue because of the Time Warner dispute. The blog used political spending reports for the article but it is also likely that the station is also losing regular advertising dollars as well, and I am sure the same is happening here in Los Angeles with advertisers shift ad spending to non-CBS stations during the dispute.

See: http://www.mediapost.com/publication...#axzz2bkKxOt4c

Thread Information