Over the weekend, I stopped in at the Wolf Creek Restaurant in Valencia, part of the city of Santa Clarita in Northern LA County. The portions are generous, the prices are moderate and the food is delicious.

What really impressed me is the calamari. Calamari is served everywhere and it tastes about the same everywhere you go. But what made the Calamari different here is that you get a big hunk of Calamari. It's big, it's thick, it's juicy -- it's like eating a calamari steak.

I also had the blackened salmon and it was a nice sized salmon steak with fresh roasted vegetables as a side and frankly I couldn't finish the vegetables.

I did save room for the Kahlua cheesecake which is just a huge slice that can serve four. Just a couple of bites was enough for me to finish off the meal.

Wolf Creek is a busy place. I dropped in on a Saturday evening and was told the wait would be 30 minutes for a table so we sat at the bar where there is complete menu service.

Beer and wine only and they brew their own beer.

I've known this restaurant for more than a decade. In fact, I used to have lunch and dinner there when it first opened as I used to live in the neighborhood. But I don't remember it having such wonderful food back more than a decade ago. It's definitely a place where I'd return.

http://www.wolfcreekbrewingco.com/dining.html