Thread: Questions Regarding "The Dice Doctor"

I know nothing about craps, but I have a friend who just returned from LV after having a couple of stellar nights at the craps table. He had been playing with someone who claimed to have taken lessons from an alleged controlled shooting expert touted as "The Dice Doctor."

He asked if I had ever heard of him and such, but I know nothing, so I'm passing along the questions. Who is "The Dice Doctor?" How much do lessons in controlled shooting actually cost? Are there many such controlled shooting mentors in Las Vegas, or are there just a couple of guys who claim to be able to do this stuff?

Have any of you actually taken live lessons from someone? Where do the lessons take place?

All feedback is appreciated.

I have never paid to attend any of these "schools" but many years ago -- in the mid 1990s -- I paid perhaps $50 to attend a seminar about dice influencing. This was back in the early days of the so-called dice controller movement.

Today there are a couple of so called "dice schools" and they are pretty much run out of the homes of various "instructors" who happen to have a full size craps table either in their den or garage. Lesson "packages" which can include a weekend of instruction can cost as much as about $1,200 to $1,500. Frank Scoblete used to be "attached" to Golden Touch Craps which is perhaps the best known "school" and he probably knows a lot about the market for the schools in Vegas.

I don't know anyone known as "the dice doctor" but anybody could use the name. I did a google search for "dice doctor" and found one author using the name.

There is also the "dice coach" who runs a school and has a website and I have an article on the website here: http://www.dicecoach.com/articlearch.asp?ID=46.

And "Heavy" is another school operator and has a website Axis Power Craps. "Sharpshooter" who authored the book that I consider the bible of dice influencing has a school.

And there have to be a dozen or more self-proclaimed experts at craps and shooting dice who have a table at home and a website and claim to be able to teach you some magic.

I don't doubt that dice influencing is possible and I am sure that there must be someone somewhere who has the skill and technique to influence the throw of dice, but I doubt it can be taught at any price, and I doubt that it's a skill that can be learned in a weekend or even after hours of practice.

While I have my severe doubts about any school I think it's okay to try "dice influencing." It can't hurt, so why not try.

Sam Grafstein was known as the Dice Doctor. He was not a controlled shooter. I don't even know if he knew about controlled shooting (in those days the Captain called it "Rhythmic Rolling"). He wrote a book titled "The Dice Doctor." If someone else has used this name then obviously it ain't Sam (who would be about 90 years old now).

Thanks so much for the info, guys. I will pass it along.

Thanks Frank for the Dice Doctor clarification. A couple years ago I was at Caesars and a loud obnoxious guy was claiming to be the Dice Doctor. I had thought that the real DD was old--but this guy was in his 40's, so I was confused all this time (I suppose I'm still confused--just not about the Dice Doctor).

Anyway, this guy was definitely not a dice controller or dice influencer or anything else but a random thrower who happened to have a few good hands. I assume this is the guy that Redietz ran into.

My friend was thrilled that the famous Frank Scoblete commented. He'll be in Las Vegas in December and would love to buy Frank and Alan dinner if either or both is available, so I'll just pass that on to you guys.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    My friend was thrilled that the famous Frank Scoblete commented. He'll be in Las Vegas in December and would love to buy Frank and Alan dinner if either or both is available, so I'll just pass that on to you guys.
    Free food? Sure, name the date, place and time!

Thank your friend for the invitation but December is my busiest time of the year and it is unlikely I will be going to Vegas then.

Appreciate the offer but I am doing a national and world travel decade (if I live that long) with my wife the Beautiful A.P. and often with Jerry "Stickman" and his wife the Lovely Tres. Vegas just isn't on my radar any more. Been going there for 25 years. Time for me to see other places.

Thread Information