Some time ago I wrote about my "new strategy" for playing craps which amounted to a passline bet plus a Fire Bet and nothing more. The strategy was to be at the table to catch a hot shooter who makes enough passes for the Fire Bet that pays $1,000 for a $1 bet if all six points are made. Yes, it's a long shot bet but craps is a negative expectation game so why throw money at an otherwise "loser's game"?

Following my "new strategy" this would cost you at the maximum a passline bet plus the maximum Fire Bet for each player. At a $10 table with a max bet of $10 on the Fire Bet it would be $20 maximum outlay for each shooter.

If you really wanted to hunt for jackpots -- hence the name "Jackpot hunting" -- you don't have to keep the passline bet on after an initial passline win. You can make only one passline bet but with the Fire Bet already up the Fire Bet can't be removed even if another passline bet is not made.

So, with a new shooter you make a $10 passline bet and a $10 fire bet. The shooter throws a winner 7 on the first come out. You get paid on the passline $10 and take down your passline bet. Your only risk on this shooter is the remaining $10 Fire Bet which has to stay until the shooter 7s out.

In effect you have lowered your cost for this "jackpot hunt" to only the cost of the Fire Bet.