Thread: The Gender Question

I noticed that the Dancer wiki thread and my comments garnered some disagreement from the forum host and various others. I also noticed that in other forums, people have jumped all over Dancer and LVA, but that the majority of the people jumping on them were women.

Then I had my Eureka moment. Maybe this forum is lacking women. Impossible to tell, as most are anonymous, but it would explain a certain -- attitude.

So if any brave female is out there who regularly posts and doesn't mind exposing her gender, please do. It would make me feel much less, you know, like I'm hanging out at the YMCA. And you know what happens at the Y.

Hello, redietz:
    I am a female... about Dancer...I will sorry for him....he is destroying his VP image...he is not a happy person...he is getting old, but not wise...

redietz I think you are missing the point: yes, Dancer has done some bad, stupid things. And he certainly has written in his articles things that make him look bad. But the subject under discussion here has been the Wiki article.

The article, as it stands, is a pure hatchet job which is without defense except to those who want to see a hatchet job. The criticism of the Wiki article is not an attempt to support Dancer.

Please separate the issues.

And what is your problem with the YMCA organization or those who make use of its services?

"And what is your problem with the YMCA organization or those who make use of its services?:
    Alan -my guess it was a joke... do not take everything so seriously....even VP...

Originally Posted by odinoka View Post
    "And what is your problem with the YMCA organization or those who make use of its services?:
    Alan -my guess it was a joke... do not take everything so seriously....even VP...
    I think it was a slur, not a joke.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    It would make me feel much less, you know, like I'm hanging out at the YMCA. And you know what happens at the Y.
    What does happen at the Y, redietz?

What does happen at the Y? Glad you asked.

Why, a bunch of males go around slapping each other on the back for no good reason. Sort of like what happens on the occasional forum.

Yes, Alan, that was a setup. You assumed the worst of me, and you took the opportunity to take a shot. That's illogical (as Spock might say) because in a previous post I offered to be Rob Singer's date. I was an advocate of gay and lesbian rights back when it was very uncool to do so. And if I had intended it as a slur, I would have been aware that it came across as a slur. Some writers are self-aware. You know, kind of unlike Bob Dancer.

Some things should not be joked about. Especially on Internet forums where it is impossible for anyone to know your true intentions.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Yes, Alan, that was a setup. You assumed the worst of me, and you took the opportunity to take a shot.
    If you're not willing to have shots taken and are unwilling to accept them unconditionally when they happen, don't offer up a target.

I was willing to have shots taken to evaluate whether Alan would take a soft road and cut me a break or take a hard road and take a shot when an opening appeared. If you recall, the dear departed Mr. Singer said things that were unambiguously slurs on a hundred occasions, but never had the word slur thrown at him by Alan. It fits with the disparate use of the word "troll" by Alan.

To put this in context, I coached middle school and young high school teams at YMCAs, formally coached, played in, and financially sponsored teams for hundreds of games at YMCAs, and officiated in dozens of games at YMCAs. If I were using it as a slur, I would have been slurring myself. I recently attended a lecture by Dr. Luvell Anderson, who is writing a book and has written many papers on what constitute slurs in history and modern culture. I listened carefully, and the general consensus these days seems to be that one cannot slur oneself.

redietz don't be ridiculous. No one knows what you have done in your personal life. But your comment about the Y was a slur.

No one had to make any comments about Rob. It was too obvious. I had more faith in you.

Thread Information