Thread: Fast Food kids' play areas

I walked into a McDonald's today to grab a soft drink. Usually I just use the drive-thru but the drive-thru line was long so it was faster to walk in.

This is one of those new, modern McDonald's with the kids' play place with the big tubes that kids slide through. I wish they had that stuff when I was a kid.

While walking through I looked thru the big glass wall that separates the restaurant dining area from the kids' play area and I saw something that was a bit troubling:

one of the decorations on the wall was a picture of a giant ice cream cone.

Why an ice cream cone? Why not a clown, or a rabbit or a rocket or vegetables?

I am sure it was an ice cream cone to motivate the kids to ask for an ice cream cone... which McDonald's sells.

I think in kids' play areas, motivational photos and signs and pictures that promote desserts and even food items should not be allowed.

What's even worse is when you look at these kids with a smile thinking back to Nostalgia and then you get worried people are going to think you are a child predator. I think it was Chuck E Cheese or one of them where you can't even go in unless you have a kid with you. Sounds like a whole secondary market of kid rentals for people who want to relieve their youth. Guess that's a whole separate topic in and of itself.

Yeah you are probably right with the subliminal or not so subliminal messaging. Kid is doing something fun and while the brain is receiving positive signals there is a food item to associate it with. You figure McDonalds would have been satisfied with the Happy Meal toy as a hook.

Originally Posted by Perdition View Post
    I think it was Chuck E Cheese or one of them where you can't even go in unless you have a kid with you.
    I hope that's not true. My son (33 and my cameraman and editor) and I talked about going to Chuck a couple of days ago for their pizza. We love their pizza.

Thread Information