Thread: When do you throw in the towel for the day or session?

We've had discussions about pros and cons about stop losses, win goals, loss limits, etc. but this is a different sort of question. It is a question about your own mindset which may or may not involve money, bankroll, wins or losses.

The question is, "when do you throw in the towel on a game for a day or a session?"

As an example, there are craps players who have only lost a little bit of money but have decided that the table is "cold" and will stop playing.

Are there factors that make you quit playing for the day or for the session?

In Video poker, I play for a brief diversion of a couple hours, win , lose, or draw. Since I play for only a short period, I don't need stop losses or win goals as I cant get hurt too much in that time.

On the other hand, in craps, I can play all day and never get bored. If I didn't have limits or goals I would never stop. So I limit any 1 session to 1 and 1/2 buy ins; and 5 buy ins per day if losing. If there is a huge roll I definitely will hit and run--then up to one more buy in for the day. If small wins and losses, I keep playing as long as I want or till 1 of the extremes or fatigue.

In younger days, I played as much as 50 hours in a 72 hour timeperiod. Cant do it anymore.

The best loss limit is your line of credit. If the max is hit (which I never have) I don't go to the atm.

What I have scheduled for the day is one priority. Fatigue would be the other.

I'm a small time player, but what I do is if I get to double my money, then I start taking one chip or two from each pass line win and put it in my pocket or set it aside to leave the table with. I also take out the original amount. Then I play till my remaining chips are gone. Usually I don't count what is in my pocket and sometimes I get nice surprise by the amount was able to take from the table.

Works for my style of play. I'm just there to have fun.

SD

sderman I think the key statement you made is "I also take out the original amount." This is ideal especially in a game like craps. If you set aside your original buy in, you will find that the game is even more fun to play. We also have a thread here about pressing bets in craps -- and my position was you don't start pressing (raising) bets until your original outlay for each new shooter has been won back and is in your rail.

Thread Information