Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Today

Gaming Today has informed me that, "We have had no contact with Rob Singer for a number of years and have no articles from him for publication."

This is unfortunate, as I was looking forward to them.

Not surprised. You would think that the individual from GT who provided you with a response to your question would check within the company before providing you with a reply. Thus, Rob Singer is out of sight and has been for a long time.

I suppose it's possible that the last columns that ran under the "Rob Singer" pseudonym at Gaming Today created so much bad will that the pseudonym has been retired or banned there. If that's the case, maybe the columns in question have Rob Argentino as the author, and that would explain the conflicting stories. Someone should probably contact Gaming Today and check to see if they have had contact with Rob Argentino, Rob's legal name, and have columns by him awaiting publication.

I think if Rob were to publish again and if GT were to publish -- it would be under the name Rob Singer. In this case, a rose by any other name would not smell as sweet to the publisher.

Since I have some experience with the media business, and since I have had articles published in various magazines and newspapers over the years... I can tell you honestly that sometimes the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

I once had a major article published in New Jersey Magazine and they left off my byline. I once wrote a major article for the Columbia Journalism Review that was cut down to three paragraphs. And then I once wrote a "brief" for Barron's which got the attention of the editors that turned into a cover story. And then there was that "little article" I wrote for the Washington Journalism Review that ended up on the White House "reading list" and led to a revamp of the government's unemployment statistics surprising the editors there who didn't think much of my piece. We say in the business "this isn't brain surgery" and thankfully it isn't because too many patients would die with all of the misjudgments made.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    I can tell you honestly that sometimes the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.
    This isn't the AP or CBS news. It's a much smaller publication and I'd guess that even if someone personally called everyone associated with the organization it would still take less than an hour to reach them all. Besides, my recent contact with GT shows that at least one person in the company did some external searching to determine why questions concerning Rob and future articles in GT were being raised and I can't imagine they would have taken the time to do that without first exhausting every possible internal explanation. And for the record my initial query had no details at all: it merely stated that Rob had posted that he had 2 new articles ready to be published at GT and my asking when that would occur.

Rob tried to dismiss reply's that came from the publisher by stating he only dealt with editors or managing editors. The problem with that explanation is that while my reply did eventually come from the publisher, my initial contact was with the managing editor who then forwarded my message. The email I received also showed that the managing editor had searched online and found the origin of Rob's claim and even contained a link to that page on this forum. There is no way of knowing exactly how much either one of them read of that thread but the fact that they were interested enough in the subject to track down where it began suggests that they probably made it through at least all of Rob's first post which clearly spelled out the details of his purported "new GT deal".

So at this point we have at least 2 people at GT who have knowledge of what Rob has claimed on this forum, as well as replies from the publisher stating she has had no contact with Rob in years and is not aware of any pending articles from him. Given what has transpired so far, Rob's claim to have contacted GT 2 day's after the denials by the publisher received by redietz and myself and was told at that time that his articles "have not run yet" doesn't seem to be remotely plausible. By this time surely everyone working for GT who might be even remotely involved in getting a story published would have been asked about it.

Given the facts and events that have unfolded, that GT was well aware of his statements and denied they were true and that Rob continued to claim the opposite, leads me to the only logical claim I can see which is that Rob fabricated the entire incident.

In that original post Rob gloats about how his articles are going to expose Arci as "the lying phoney he's always been". How ironic that the story turns out to show that the true "lying phoney" here is actually Rob.

I can tell you honestly that sometimes the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.
    Well, maybe the right hand is GT and the left hand is Rob Singer.

No.

The right hand must be Rob Singer because he might blame Obama for this fiasco.

Well, maybe the right hand is GT and the left hand is Rob Singer.

No.

The right hand must be Rob Singer because he might blame Obama for this fiasco.
    I'd be more suspicious about why Spock didn't name names. My contact is David Stratton, nicknamed Strato. But don't blame Spock entirely. He's still reeling and feels obligated to concoct his own reality.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    I'd be more suspicious about why Spock didn't name names. My contact is David Stratton, nicknamed Strato. But don't blame Spock entirely. He's still reeling and feels obligated to concoct his own reality.
    David Stratton is listed on their website as Managing Editor: http://www.gamingtoday.com/columnist/bio/19

Didn't Spock say his initial contact was with the "managing editor"?

Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    while my reply did eventually come from the publisher, my initial contact was with the managing editor who then forwarded my message. The email I received also showed that the managing editor had searched online and found the origin of Rob's claim and even contained a link to that page on this forum. There is no way of knowing exactly how much either one of them read of that thread but the fact that they were interested enough in the subject to track down where it began suggests that they probably made it through at least all of Rob's first post which clearly spelled out the details of his purported "new GT deal".

Let me get this straight. You two are arguing that the publisher stating they have had no contact with Rob in years is simply wrong. And her saying they have none of Rob's articles is wrong.

If that's the case, I feel obligated to let her know how wrong she is.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Let me get this straight. You two are arguing that the publisher stating they have had no contact with Rob in years is simply wrong.
    While I am not good at math, I think there is only ONE person disputing the report.

Oh what a tangled web we weave ....

It's a wonder that anyone still believes one word from an obvious pathological liar like Singer. But, I guess people would then have to admit I have been right about everything.

Arc I think your knowledge of video poker math is flawless.

Originally Posted by arcimede$ View Post
    Oh what a tangled web we weave ....

It's a wonder that anyone still believes one word from an obvious pathological liar like Singer. But, I guess people would then have to admit I have been right about everything.
    I stumbled upon Rob way back in 2000 when I was researching my first trip to Vegas and I've been morbidly amused ever since. Your relationship with him goes back pretty far but I don't recall ever hearing details about it. What is your thing with Singer? Do you actually know him or is it just an internet thing or what. Just curious.

Originally Posted by quahaug View Post
    I stumbled upon Rob way back in 2000 when I was researching my first trip to Vegas and I've been morbidly amused ever since. Your relationship with him goes back pretty far but I don't recall ever hearing details about it. What is your thing with Singer? Do you actually know him or is it just an internet thing or what. Just curious.
    Just an internet thing.

Originally Posted by arcimede$ View Post
    Just an internet thing.
    Wow,He sure claims to know a lot about you. Must have a lot of time on his hands.

Originally Posted by quahaug View Post
    Wow,He sure claims to know a lot about you. Must have a lot of time on his hands.
    Wow... Arc also knows a lot about Rob. I think he has time on his hands, too.

By noon today, Monday, I would expect Rob to say something about his new articles and Gaming Today. I am sure Rob understands the importance of letting us know who has made the decision to run his articles and approximately when. Noon should be enough time.

Wow... Arc also knows a lot about Rob. I think he has time on his hands, too.
    I'm sure Arci does have a lot of time on his hands but Rob is sort of a public person and revealed a lot about himself. I don't think Arci has written so much about personal and family stuff concerning Rob.

Arc has investigated legal and property records for Rob's legal name, for heaven's sake.

No comment on your deadline Alan?

Thread Information