Thread: Questions of Veracity

Just a couple of questions.

Let's say I posted a photo or link to standings of a prestigious sports handicapping contest. And let's say the contestants all used pseudonyms. If I said I had won or finished second, would everybody take my word for it?

And let's say I mentioned that I had an article ready to roll in the WSJ. And another one due in the Journal of Gambling Studies. But the articles were due at some future time undecided due to space limitations and publishing deadlines. And say the articles, six months from now, hadn't yet appeared. Would everybody take my word for the fact it was a communications snafu?

More importantly, would I be free to continue posting and claiming this expertise or that accomplishment with no repercussions?

I ask simply because I have hellacious articles scheduled, and I just finished second in Linemasters Bowl Contest (under a pseudonym, of course). So please let me know as soon as possible so I can plan my ongoing posts.

Do you really want a response? In your case I wouldn't doubt your claims because there is no reason to, just yet. But I would expect to see something sooner rather than later.

Where is Vera City?

If you use your schlong as north on a compass, it's wherever there's a big jackpot.

So Alan, I'm free to post whatever if you tend to believe me. Now if those articles, say, don't come sooner, or this year, for example, does that affect whatever I can say on the forum? Or do I still have carte blanche?

I'd think that as long as you have them in a storage locker somewhere you are good to go.

BTW, isn't Veracity an exotic dancer at the Spearmint Rhino?

Spock, you're thinking of the twins, Veracities. They are so hot that it's hard to believe they exist.

Its on Ball Island off pecka point.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Now if those articles, say, don't come sooner, or this year, for example, does that affect whatever I can say on the forum? Or do I still have carte blanche?
    One year is pushing it. The media doesn't get backlogged that long for publishing articles. Which reminds me of a story...

Years ago I did business with a stockbroker at the EF Hutton office in Newark, New Jersey. This was back in the late 1970s when I was an assignment editor at CBS News and the "junior oil stocks" were the hot stocks on Wall Street.

One day my broker calls me and strongly suggests I buy shares in a small oil company called Texas Vanguard. The shares were trading at a few dollars each. The "story" he said was that they had proven reserves that made each share worth more than $100 dollars. (It was many years ago so I don't remember the exact details.) He said there was "news pending" which meant that the info about the proven reserves had not yet made the news wires yet so I had better hurry to buy the stock before the news got out.

So... I bought a couple hundred shares in the late morning.

An hour later... the news had not yet been released but the stock was moving up.
    A few hours later... no news and the stock was even higher.
    Close of trading... still no news.

So the next morning I said to my broker... when is the news coming out? (When it came out I expected the stock price to soar and that's when I would sell.) My broker said to me "oh, our source (meaning the source for the brokers at the Hutton office in Newark) said there is a delay. The news wires are backlogged with news."

Oops. That's the wrong thing to say to an assignment editor (me) at CBS News who had every news teletype machine steps from his desk. I knew damn well that when news is "delayed" its delayed only seconds and not hours. And certainly not overnight.

So I asked my broker "where is this Texas Vanguard company?" He told me Houston. I picked up the phone and called information (yes there was information in those days) and I called the company. An "operator" answered the phone, and the conversation went something like this:

OPERATOR: Texas Vanguard, may I help you?
    ME: Hi, my name is Alan Mendelson and I am a shareholder. Do you have a shareholder relations department?
    OPERATOR: Shareholder relations? (Pause.) Just a moment please. (I was put on hold, and then a man answers.)
    MAN: Hello, can I help you?
    ME: Hi, my name is Alan Mendelson and I am a shareholder. Is this shareholder relations?
    MAN: Well, I guess you can say it is.
    ME: Thank you, what's you name please?
    MAN: I am the Chairman and President of the company.
    ME: Thank you for taking my call. I understand you have "news pending" about proven reserves. Can you tell me when the news will be released?
    MAN: News pending? Proven reserves? Sir, we are a new company and we haven't drilled our first well yet.
    ME: Thank you. Good bye.

I quickly dialed my broker and said "don't say a word, sell my Texas Vanguard right now. At market."

A moment later he came back on the phone with the confirmation. My stock was sold and at a profit. Then he asked me why I sold? And I told him: there were no proven reserves and the company hadn't drilled its first well yet.

Two days later my broker told me that his office and about 30 brokers were under investigation for trying to manipulate the company's stock.

So redietz, if your article is delayed, I can accept a short delay of a few issues... but not any longer than that.

Red if you're currently in the business, whatever that is, and want to get something published, why don't you just get it done. Trying to compare yourself to me is apples and tangerines. What GT may do for me is a simple favor. Whatever you're doing is to expand your brand, again, whatever that is and whoever you are for whomever you consult for on whatever events.

Easy peasy. Now back to fun in the snow!

That's it, Rob. You hit the nail on the head. I'm trolling for customers. It only took me three years to get to it, but I specialize in the slow sell.

Thread Information