Thread: Rincon removes $81 "late arrival charge" partially thanks to me

Rincon had a longstanding policy where they charge you $81 if you showed up to your reservation after 8pm, even if you warned them beforehand and guaranteed the night with a credit card. They were supposed to automatically credit you the $81 back if you do eventually show up after 8.

In November 2013, I had a nightmare with the Rincon where I did show up (after midnight), but they had some problem crediting me back the $81. It was supposed to come, but I waited and waited and didn't see the $81 credited back.

After about a week, I called up to ask what was going on, and got into a comical but also frustrating and sad debate with the operator, who refused to let me talk to the front desk about this because my reasons "wasn't good enough". Instead, I was supposed to leave a voicemail on the "accounting" number, which never answers the phone and rarely checks its voicemail! I got into a long ordeal where I kept calling back and she kept hanging up on me, telling me that she absolutely wouldn't let me through to the front desk no matter what. Her supervisor also confirmed that I was not allowed to speak to the front desk EVER about this matter.

When I eventually reached the hotel manager, she profusely apologized and told me that "many customer service changes were coming", and that the operator and her supervisor really screwed this one up. She agreed that I was unlikely to have gotten resolution if I left the voicemail as they demanded. Interestingly, I still didn't get the credit when promised by the manager, and had to call back yet another time, and finally they credited me.

Anyway, this $81 charge has now been eliminated by the Rincon. They have stopped this ridiculous practice.

A source I have there told me that my incident was somewhat of a "wake up call" to make them revisit the policy, and they realized it was simply a burden to both the customer and the staff.

My situation arose because the operators were instructed to keep frivolous calls away from the front desk (since they are busy checking in customers), but were not given clear enough instructions to understand the difference between a "valid" front desk call (like mine) and a bothersome/redundant one. This put the decision in the hands of clueless and often dim hotel operators, allowing them to piss off Seven Stars members and other VIPs. The hotel manager was apparently horrified when listening to the recorded call, and how the operators pushed things out of control when attempting to over-enforce a policy.

This partially led to the elimination of the $81 charge, thus reducing the burden on the already overburdened front desk.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Gold
    We have been charged the $81.00 twice last year at Rincon. I called our host and she took care of it but it did take 2 weeks to get it off our card.

Glad to hear they stopped that.

Thread Information