Thread: What do you do on the High Roller?

I understand that the High Roller, big observation wheel off the Strip, is going to open next week. I was discussing the attraction with a friend of mine and we discussed the pros and cons of being stuck on a big wheel for so long. How much time do you need to look at the lights and landscape?

And that brought up another question: what will be going on inside those big cars that go around the wheel?

Will there be entertainment? A bar? Food? Snacks? Do you just stand there? Can you walk around or is there a problem with the cars being off balance?

Any info?

I doubt I'll ever ride it, even if I could get a comp, and at $30 I wouldn't even consider it. Unlike London where there is centuries of history to look for, as much as I like Vegas I just don't think there is enough of interest to make it worthwhile. It's a 30 minute ride, so that means only half, or 15 minutes, is "high time". I doubt you'd get bored that easily. I know some proposals for wheels had bars and things included in the cabins, but I believe this is just a bare bones operation.

Here is a video taken by what appears to be some of the workmen as they are near the top of the circuit:

(Any way to embed video here?)

Here is another video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151917520901856

(I'm not a facebook member and it worked for me). There is a short thread at LVA where these were posted so thanks to Blondie for posting them.

I don't see anything in the "cabins" that might even be a bar or even chairs, so you're right -- this could get boring.

What does anyone do on any 'Ferris Wheel" type ride? Just enjoy the view... I don't know how this ever got approval to be built. You would think something like this would appeal mostly to first time visitors to Las Vegas.
    Would repeat or frequent visitors ever go on it? Are they still building another one at the south end of the strip?

A "ferris wheel" ride at an amusement park isn't more than a few minutes... this thing is going to keep you locked up for a while. And from the videos, I think my fear of heights might make me feel uncomfortable. I have a problem on a ladder changing the battery in my smoke alarms.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    And from the videos, I think my fear of heights might make me feel uncomfortable. I have a problem on a ladder changing the battery in my smoke alarms.
    Did you know they now have 10 year lithium batteries for smoke alarms?

As for the high roller, you just might be OK Alan. This new thread over at LVA contains this report:

My friend is deathly afraid of heights, but said it did not feel awkward. Also said the ride was extremely smooth and you don't feel the sensation of "rotating" or "rising and falling". From the views, you know that you are moving--but you don't feel it.

Thread Information