Thread: Facts about Las Vegas they don't want you to know.

On our "Vegas Gaming / Travel News" page is a new article about facts they don't want you to know. Well, at least that's what my business associate told me. The "facts" deal with suicide and pedestrian accidents on The Strip. Click here to see it: http://alanbestbuys.com/id73.html

These kinds of "reports" are typical ambush stories which contain no analysis whatsoever. There have been many studies done about the high suicide rate in Las Vegas, but it's too easy to simply alarm readers with mere stats and nothing else. The high frequency of pedestrian fatalities is not surprising given the combination of heavy traffic and the loss of common sense when the party atmosphere of the Strip cannot be kept under control by drinking tourists who get stupid and jaywalk.

I'm a Lva forum member and came over here out of curiosity over that challange. Ive been going to LasVegas for almost 30 years and not one time have I ever heard about this suicide and accidental Lv strip runover rate. How could they keep all these things so secret if they really do happen? Youd think at least the families would have made a stink in the media about a few of the deaths. I just dont believe it.

Generally, the news media do not report suicides. The only time a suicide is reported is when it becomes "public" for example when a jumper from a building is not only witnessed by the public but causes traffic to become stopped or streets to be closed, or the incident when a man shot himself standing on a freeway in Los Angeles.

Suicides in hotel rooms are not public events so the media would not report them. If you check the public statistics from the Coroner's offices there is no mention of suicides by hanging or even suicides in hotel rooms. The only public figures concern suicides in general.

Regarding pedestrian deaths: please do a simple "Google search" for "Las Vegas Pedestrian Deaths" and you will see reports about the large number of pedestrian deaths and a report in May of 2011 listing Tropicana and Flamingo as two of the streets with the highest rates of pedestrian deaths.

Thread Information