Thread: A new name for the Washington Redskins

The other day, I got into a discussion about possible new names for the Washington Redskins Football Team. By now you know that the U.S. Trademark Office has canceled its name for being derogatory and offense to American Indians -- Native Americans.

About a dozen or so replacement names for the Washington Redskins are being discussed on the Internet and they include variations of the original Redskins nickname such as "Skins" or "Redtails" or "Red Hawks."

I think the Washington team should simply call itself the "Washington Red." Yes, use the color.

Red is a powerful color.

Various colors have been used to describe companies. Some companies are called Green. All companies want to be in the black. Jet Blue, the airline, uses the color Blue in its name because symbolically jets fly off into the blue skies.

There are colors you don't want to be associated with, such as yellow. Being pink might be offensive depending how it's used. I remember when "being in the pink" meant health and vitality.

Getting back to "Red" -- it is a strong color. A powerful color. A dominant color. So why not call the Washington Redskins the Washington Red?

Now that's the Washington Red and not to be confused with another team known as the Reds.

Alan, When I hear reds I think of Communist Russia.

Originally Posted by spojoey View Post
    Alan, When I hear reds I think of Communist Russia.
    Just think about the pall hanging over all of Cincinnati.

Thread Information