Thread: Trip report: Caesars Las Vegas during July 4th

I usually try to avoid Vegas during big holidays because I know that the crowded conditions can affect service.

I just got a survey from Caesars about my visit during July 4th and I replied to it.

I complimented my host and another host who made some last minute changes for me. My service was generally good, but this time I was surprised by one thing:

Housekeeping did not give me fresh or restocked soap and shampoo each day of my stay. I was there for 3 days. There was a bar of soap at the double sinks and a bar of soap in the shower. Also a bottle of body wash in the shower that I used.

Is the hotel cutting back on soap and shampoo?

My room was made up nicely, with lots of chocolates and bottles of water on my nightstand (the free kind). No problem with fresh towels. But not a new soap or shampoo bottle?

What's up with that?

Wait, so you had two used bars of soap in your bathroom, plus a used bottle of shampoo?

Obviously a housekeeping oversight and not cheapness.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Wait, so you had two used bars of soap in your bathroom, plus a used bottle of shampoo?
    Yes.

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Obviously a housekeeping oversight and not cheapness.
    For three days?

I was back at Caesars for a stay starting Saturday August 2nd. Unfortunately, it was like the July 4th weekend stay. It appears Caesars is getting cheap with restocking the rooms with soap and shampoo. I never got fresh soap or fresh shampoo or fresh bath gel. (Photo of the bathroom counter at the end of my stay -- the tube that remains contains a skin cream that I didn't use. There were no replacements left in the shower for the shower gel or shampoo.) That is the original bar of soap, too.

I had fresh towels and fresh sheets place every day -- but not the soaps. What is this all about?

Also I noticed that in my room in the Augustus Tower the desk phone was missing (see the photo of the desk where the phone would have been). There was still the nightstand phone (a basic phone) but "office type" phone on the desk was missing. Of course, I don't know if this was just in my room and my phone was MIA for a repair, or if this is something new. Eliminating the second phone might provide some savings if these specialty phones are leased.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Why do you need fresh soap or shampoo if there is still plenty left?

I never ask for that until I come close to running out, which wouldn't happen in a 3-day stay.

Leaving the previous guest's soap/shampoo was an idiotic oversight and that has never happened to me before.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

The previous guests' stuff was not left in my room. When I said I didnt get fresh soap it was after my check in and on subsequent days of my trip.

But previously, on all other visits (Ive been going to Caesars for more than 15 years) fresh soaps/shampoos were always left in the room each day.

Probably part cost saving and part waste reduction. If you still have soap why do you need new ones just to have the cleaning staff chuck the old usable ones. But if you are out or close to, then they should leave more.

If I'm in a hotel and they have good hand cream, I'll usually leave a note asking for an extra one. Usually they leave me 4 or 5. They are great to keep in my jacket during the winter when my hands crack from the cold.

Although I always tip my cleaners each day and have found that usually helps too. I don't think most people tip the cleaners.

Amazing that such an issue gets threaded. If this means anything Alan, each day of my stay I put any tube of unused shampoo, gel, conditioner, or mouthwash in the trash, and new ones have always shown up. I,'ve been chided by the tree-huggers and save-the-earth hippies on this, but not as much as they've whined about my taking as long a shower as possible, every day, whenever I'm in a hotel room anywhere.

It is all so much fun.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Amazing that such an issue gets threaded. If this means anything Alan, each day of my stay I put any tube of unused shampoo, gel, conditioner, or mouthwash in the trash, and new ones have always shown up. I,'ve been chided by the tree-huggers and save-the-earth hippies on this, but not as much as they've whined about my taking as long a shower as possible, every day, whenever I'm in a hotel room anywhere.

It is all so much fun.
    You call it fun, I just call it stupid childish stuff. Why in the name of God would you throw away unused items? What's the use? Do you really believe you're hurting the resort's bottom line? Really childish!

I'd like to ask this question: what will be cut next? Or what price will be raised next? In room movies are now $14.99 but while I don't pay (7 Stars benefit) I remember a short while ago they were $12.99 and I also remember when they didn't have resort fees and even advertised how there were no resort fees.

Originally Posted by Vegas_lover View Post
    You call it fun, I just call it stupid childish stuff. Why in the name of God would you throw away unused items? What's the use? Do you really believe you're hurting the resort's bottom line? Really childish!
    Resort's bottom line? Huh? Who cares about that? I simply desire new shampoo & soap for each day I'm there. I know we live differently over here than over there, so in a luxury hotel in the US I demand new stuff each day. And I've always received it.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Resort's bottom line? Huh? Who cares about that? I simply desire new shampoo & soap for each day I'm there. I know we live differently over here than over there, so in a luxury hotel in the US I demand new stuff each day. And I've always received it.
    Yep, stupid childish stuff it is. You didn't use it one day so it's completely useable the next day. But nevertheless you throw it away because you DEMAND new stuff every day? Do you also stamp your feet when you type this nonsense?

I see where your irritation is coming from. My word should have been used, not unused. Half full, 3/4 full, or whatever, I toss it. Does that correction make you like me any better?

I didn't want to debate waste or environmental concerns here. My only point was to show that Caesars is making cutbacks in service. By the way, Caesars has also downgraded the "welcome chocolates" that were placed in rooms. This happened about a year ago. And about three months ago, the welcome candy/nuts was downgraded again.

I don't stay in the Octavius tower because I don't like the views you get there. But the Octavius rooms used to come with shave and toothbrushing kits... but I spoke to some Diamond and 7 Stars players who told me they also disappeared.

Thread Information