Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Burn through RC's to get comps from Casino Host?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    705
    Originally Posted by ccerts View Post
    Thanks Alan. Great information. I'll be sure to provide a trip report upon my return!
    Hi Ccerts:

    Are you back from your trip and how did the strategy go?

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    22
    Got home late last night. Had a fun time 4 nights at Caesars LV.

    I played more slots and higher coin in than I should have (I love that Wonder 4 game) all at Caesars. I cycled a lot of play and went from 52,817 tier credits to 80,003 (more questions about Diamond aspirations level 2 later).

    I was able to hide (suck out) total rewards credits before visiting Caesars by booking a bogus beach trip through the SPG Alliance. I will have no problem canceling the bogus beach trip and having those total rewards credits put back into my account.

    Did I run out of TR credits and have my host comp items billed to my room above and beyond? No. I went to Caesars with about $150 TR credits, perhaps earned $200 more playing slots. I billed about $350 to my room. At the end, I had $4 in TR credits left. LOL. I didn’t get comped anything beyond my TR Credits balance. Sad since I played more slots and higher coin than average. LOL---My host did text me that everything in my room was comped. More like everything charged to my room was deducted from my TR balance. Silly for my host to use the word comped as I feel I’ve earned those TR credits.

    I did have a nice conversation with my host. I clearly asked if I’d have had a $300 dinner and my TR Credits were gone, could I get all or part of my dinner comped. My host said no. Now this may be BS or not, but according to my host that since I booked my trip on a $750 free play mail offer (that they comp about 10% of your theoretical loss), with a zero TR balance, I’d have needed at least a $7500 theoretical loss to get any additional discretionary comps.

    Did my strategy work? It worked that it gave me a better understanding that I’m not going to get anything above and beyond the free play offers I get in the mail and that TR credits are valuable and use them wisely. They are important and necessary to pay your room bill.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    705
    Originally Posted by ccerts View Post

    I did have a nice conversation with my host. I clearly asked if Id have had a $300 dinner and my TR Credits were gone, could I get all or part of my dinner comped. My host said no. Now this may be BS or not, but according to my host that since I booked my trip on a $750 free play mail offer (that they comp about 10% of your theoretical loss), with a zero TR balance, Id have needed at least a $7500 theoretical loss to get any additional discretionary comps.
    Hi Ccerts:

    Thanks for the report.

    Wow that is the first time I have heard that you need to "pay back" free play through a percentage of theoretical losses before you can get anything comped. I do not doubt that your host told you that but my experience differs in that I have had little trouble getting my host to draw from the discretionary comp pool even when I have substantial free play based on an offer.

    How did your host reconcile his position given his statement in an earlier trip you took that he would have comped the buffet with discretionary comps but for your reservoir of Reward Credits? Did you not use a free play offer on that trip?

    Alternatively, when I win a significant amount of money on a trip, it is sometimes much harder to free up discretionary comps. Could that explain the "cold shoulder" you were given?

    Regards, FAB

  4. #24
    Original Founder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,636
    Thanks for the trip report ccerts. I think "discretionary" comps are just that -- discretionary.
    Alan Mendelson
    www.AlanBestBuys.com
    "(Alan) simply can't get past a die having six sides." -- Michael Shackleford May 12, 2015

  5. #25
    Originally Posted by ccerts View Post
    Got home late last night. Had a fun time 4 nights at Caesars LV.

    I played more slots and higher coin in than I should have (I love that Wonder 4 game) all at Caesars. I cycled a lot of play and went from 52,817 tier credits to 80,003 (more questions about Diamond aspirations level 2 later).

    I was able to hide (suck out) total rewards credits before visiting Caesars by booking a bogus beach trip through the SPG Alliance. I will have no problem canceling the bogus beach trip and having those total rewards credits put back into my account.

    Did I run out of TR credits and have my host comp items billed to my room above and beyond? No. I went to Caesars with about $150 TR credits, perhaps earned $200 more playing slots. I billed about $350 to my room. At the end, I had $4 in TR credits left. LOL. I didn’t get comped anything beyond my TR Credits balance. Sad since I played more slots and higher coin than average. LOL---My host did text me that everything in my room was comped. More like everything charged to my room was deducted from my TR balance. Silly for my host to use the word comped as I feel I’ve earned those TR credits.

    I did have a nice conversation with my host. I clearly asked if I’d have had a $300 dinner and my TR Credits were gone, could I get all or part of my dinner comped. My host said no. Now this may be BS or not, but according to my host that since I booked my trip on a $750 free play mail offer (that they comp about 10% of your theoretical loss), with a zero TR balance, I’d have needed at least a $7500 theoretical loss to get any additional discretionary comps.

    Did my strategy work? It worked that it gave me a better understanding that I’m not going to get anything above and beyond the free play offers I get in the mail and that TR credits are valuable and use them wisely. They are important and necessary to pay your room bill.
    This is very interesting.

    First off, this confirms what I've been saying for years: Do not blow your RCs unless you are giving regular high limit action. You never know what your host will and won't do for you.

    Second, ccerts came up with a great idea if you want to try blowing your RCs anyway to test your host -- make a Starwood reservation with your RCs for a few months out, and then cancel it when you get home. Brilliant.

    Third, I wonder if this counting freeplay offer redemption as part of your discretionary comp power is a new thing. If so, it's terrible for anyone who goes to CET properties on offers (looking at you, Alan), and again a reason to hoard your RCs. BTW, it is very hard to run up a $7500 theoretical loss at video poker, unless you play really high. So under this "new" formula, nobody redeeming a $750 offer (or anything near that) will qualify for discretionary comps, unless they already qualified based upon previous play. It will be interesting to see if others coming in on offers are also denied discretionary comps.

    Makes me feel good that I am overcomped and don't have to worry about all of this. I just use my $2300 in RCs whenever I need something.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,007
    In time, all of you CET/TR pawns will learn that there are about 5% competent "hosts" in the casino industry, and you guys aren't seeing any of them. But why should you when they know you're infatuated with nonsense words like "theo" and "overcomped"? When you guys learn that you play to win MONEY and not to see who can squeeze the most out of the comp system, all this whining and complaining about how you're being treated and "handled" by "hosts" will simply go away. But it certainly is entertaining reading all these adventures! Now if only Dan could put all that knowledge on how machines "work" to better use......

  7. #27
    Original Founder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,636
    I have never asked for a discretionary comp with the exception of asking for additional free rooms for friends/relatives which I have received. As far as other comps go, I wouldn't know what to ask for? If I go to Caesars/LV on a promotion I get the promotion. If I go for dinner, my regular comps pay for my dinner. I haven't spent a dollar out of pocket for anything at Caesars in years -- except for tips to housekeepers, valets, servers.

    To be honest, I am not a high maintenance player -- and I really don't ask for much. Heck, I've never even stayed overnight once at Rincon and I've been playing there for a few years.

    I think that Dan, who is proud of being the most overcomped player in the history of Total Rewards, is likely to look back five years from now and realize that he rapidly became the most undercomped player in the history of Total Rewards.

    Just a word of caution: going to casinos is not about getting comps. It's about winning when you can and controlling your losses when you don't win, and enjoying yourself. If you are turning your Vegas trips into a "comp project" you might be taking all the fun out of it. Stay home and watch a movie and order a pizza... it's cheaper.
    Alan Mendelson
    www.AlanBestBuys.com
    "(Alan) simply can't get past a die having six sides." -- Michael Shackleford May 12, 2015

  8. #28
    Alan how am I going to become undercomped if Seven Stars benefits are guaranteed to everyone holding that tier level?

    I realize that my freeplay is never going to be good again, but that's fine. I can milk the other benefits for a lot anyway.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    705
    Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Alan how am I going to become undercomped if Seven Stars benefits are guaranteed to everyone holding that tier level?

    I realize that my freeplay is never going to be good again, but that's fine. I can milk the other benefits for a lot anyway.
    Dan,

    I heard that being Seven Stars is not automatic even if you do put in the tier points. I am on your side not CET, but I would not put it past CET to decline your renewal at Seven Stars if they decide you are "abusing" the automatic benefits (e.g. free rooms) they offer at that level.

    FAB

  10. #30
    Original Founder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,636
    Originally Posted by FABismonte View Post
    Dan,

    I heard that being Seven Stars is not automatic even if you do put in the tier points. I am on your side not CET, but I would not put it past CET to decline your renewal at Seven Stars if they decide you are "abusing" the automatic benefits (e.g. free rooms) they offer at that level.

    FAB
    It goes beyond that. He just might hear "I'm sorry, this offer is not available to you at Caesars." Come to think of it, Dan has already been told he can't get rooms at certain hotels.
    He also might find that he gets excluded from other offers that come by mail. Those "mail list offers" are not automatic because you are 7 Stars -- and that includes events, shopping, free play, concerts, etc.

    Didn't Dan just tell us he hasn't gotten any mail offers from Rincon for several months?

    Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    They are definitely getting stingy at Rincon.

    I made most of my play there in 2013, and concentrated much of it in the October-November-December period.

    I didn't hit any royals, so they made a good amount from me.

    I took advantage of the freeplay without playing further just once -- a visit in January 2014. That visit was very costly to me in a few ways, though, as I caught the worst stomach flu of my life while there, and the symptoms presented themselves just after I left and arrived at Caesar's in Las Vegas. I ended up fainting from dehydration and breaking 3 ribs, which took 10 weeks to heal, and costing me $6600 in medical expenses.

    But let's put that aside.

    Anyway, I was consistently getting Rincon offers for a few months, but now they are gone. Not a single offer for anything.

    You would think they would want me to come back, especially because Rincon is the one place where I am NOT overcomped, as I played heavily ($75,000 coin-in per visit) for every visit except for the last one.

    However, as I haven't been there in several months, they just stopped offering me things.

    On the flip side, I still get Laughlin offers, even though I haven't played (or stayed) there in almost a year.
    Alan Mendelson
    www.AlanBestBuys.com
    "(Alan) simply can't get past a die having six sides." -- Michael Shackleford May 12, 2015

  11. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    22
    Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    In time, all of you CET/TR pawns will learn that there are about 5% competent "hosts" in the casino industry, and you guys aren't seeing any of them.
    I believe everyone here has made a good point. "Discretionary" comps are just that -- discretionary. Do not blow your RC's. Don't trust that your 'host' is competent, working in your interest or even telling you the truth. And don't expect anything extra.

    I'm still ok with all this. I now know what I can expect moving forward. A nice freeplay mail offer with a free room plus acceptable Diamond lounges with hors d'oeuvres & free drinks.

  12. #32
    Alan, as I said, I know I will not be getting any worthwhile offers. But that's fine because the guaranteed Seven Stars perks are really what I'm after.

    FAB, while they could deny my 7 Star renewal, it's not likely. I have only heard of them denying 7 Stars to people with unpaid markers.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

  13. #33
    Original Founder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17,636
    I agtee with Dan about the renewal and markers. But losing offers and free play will hurt. They're worth a lot.
    Alan Mendelson
    www.AlanBestBuys.com
    "(Alan) simply can't get past a die having six sides." -- Michael Shackleford May 12, 2015

  14. #34
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    15
    Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Alan, as I said, I know I will not be getting any worthwhile offers. But that's fine because the guaranteed Seven Stars perks are really what I'm after.

    FAB, while they could deny my 7 Star renewal, it's not likely. I have only heard of them denying 7 Stars to people with unpaid markers.
    You could be the first one
    I'm totally joking. That would suck putting in the 150k tiers and not being approved.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •