Thread: Garmin needs a better way

I have a Garmin GPS device. It has a mounting pad that attaches to my dashboard with a glue-like substance. And then the actual Garmin device is mounted onto the platform using a suction device.

The suction device "fails" to hold. It might be because of temperature change while driving, or that it just leaks suction. I am "lucky" to have the device "hold" for ten minutes.

Garmin needs a better way.

There is no problem with the "mounting pad" that affixes to the dash board, so how about some sort of locking clamp to attach the Garmin device to the mounting pad -- with some sort of release switch.

The suction mount just doesn't do the job.

What is even more aggravating is that when the Garmin falls off it strikes other controls on my dashboard and can scratch the finish.

Put a drop off water on the cup side before clamping.

Use velcro hook strip on suction cup and velcro loop strip on the plate that attaches to suction cup.

Originally Posted by ccnjr View Post
    Use velcro hook strip on suction cup and velcro loop strip on the plate that attaches to suction cup.
    That is exactly what I think Garmin should start using instead of the suction cup.

I've had it with the suction cup. Now it "fails" after about two minutes. Nothing seems to keep it in place. I am now at the point where I just leave the thing flopped over on my dash and when I need to I pick it up and glance at the directions/map.

My only other option now is to get a roll of duct tape to hold it in place but I am afraid it will damage my dash. As it is, it has fallen so many times onto my center console that the console on my Mercedes is now scratched and chipped. I'd like to sue them to fix the damage.

I got tired of the suction cup so I used velcro strips to attach my Garmin to a bean bag mount on the left side of the dash.

Gold
    Maybe time to get rid of that Mercedes and get yourself a Ford with My Ford Sync. You can personalize it and it's very easy to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Buy a new car just for GPS? I don't think so.

Mercedes to a Ford?...I don't think so....lol

Banned
    The Great White North ................. w/o having to come to ................. Alaska!
    Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    The suction device "fails" to hold.
    Oh, so you actually do drive a Mercedes.

Try a small amount of corn syrup on the "suction device".

Worked for me, for a different application..

Originally Posted by ThomasClines View Post
    Try a small amount of corn syrup on the "suction device".

Worked for me, for a different application..
    Does this create a "mess"? I don't want the Garmin permanently attached to the platform on my dash -- I just want it there when I need it. Recently I've jest adjusted the device so it sits on the dash -- and while it is not securely mounted -- this fulfills my need to see directions. True, when I turn corners it will slide but that is less of an inconvenience than it popping off and falling off the dash.

At the Caesars Great Gift Wrap Up they usually have a Garmin executive there pushing Garmin (Caesars insists on top level managers to be at the event) and this time around I am going to have a little talk. I've gotten a new Garmin every other year at the GGWU -- and got one last year. This year I will be curious to see if they have a new mounting device or an excuse for why the suction cups fail.

Banned
    The Great White North ................. w/o having to come to ................. Alaska!
    The corn syrup will prevent the air from returning. Works right away, but will dry after a few months. Still easy to undo it, but the procedure isn't meant for taking it out every time. Works outdoors in all climates.

Water soluble, so no mess if used on something washable. Nothing to do with oil-based glues, which can react with (oil-based) plastics, etc.

Every now and then, one of these cups is defective.
    Last edited by ThomasClines; 11-03-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Thread Information