Thread: Las Vegas signature event (partial) trip report

Thanks to the person who posted here that they made a last-minute change allowing double-dipping with the signature event, I decided to do it. Prior to reading that, I was going to skip the whole thing, as they did not offer Caesar's to me as a lodging option, meaning my choice was either to stay at Caesars with no signature event, or to stay at the Rio with the signature event. Neither were appealing.

Anyway, I made a regular Seven Stars reservation at Caesars, and I combined it with a non-lodger at Rio for the signature event. So my only dealing with the Rio involved having to go down once and pick up the stuff.

Knowing there would be a ton of Seven Stars in town, I called in advance to reserve my room in the Augustus Tower with the Bellagio fountains view. The earliest I could call about this was early that same day, as they won't pre-register rooms before that. I did it, only to find that they un-pre-registered my room and gave it to someone else. I discovered this when I happened to call back about a separate matter, and just double-checked my room was still the one they promised me. They gave me the type of room I wanted -- king bed, non-smoking, Augustus tower, Bellagio view, high floor.

However, this was my first time staying on the "right side" of the elevator. The rooms on this side are somewhat smaller. I would suggest getting a room on the left side of the elevator (the ones xx75 and below) in the future, though it wasn't all that bad, just smaller. Arrived late Thursday night.

Friday morning I went to the Rio to get my stuff. I encountered a very bitchy, obnoxious woman working the special events desk. For example, I noticed that you had a choice of 3 different brunches on Sunday, but I was already assigned a specific one. When I asked if I could switch, she snapped, "No, you are assigned this one. That's what you get." When I pointed to the paper which said I get to "select one of the three", she sneered and said, "This is what you're assigned, this is what you're getting."

Alan might theorize that her attitude was because of my "overcomped" status there, but I don't believe special events people have access to that info. She was just a bitch.

She told me that my Seven Stars gift will be mailed to me. I asked what it was, and she said, "A camcorder." A camcorder? Is this 1989? In any case, a lot of the time these "mailed" gifts never show up, so I won't hold my breath.

I got a whopping $100 freeplay, which I used at the blackjack table, and came away with $100. I almost got cheated by a idiot dealer who didn't understand the proper order to deal the cards when splitting, and she tried to undo my 21! The pit boss took my side and told her she was incorrect.

On Friday night, they had a Linq tour, High Roller reception, and High Roller ride. We skipped the Linq tour, but did go to the High Roller reception. The food quantity and quality was surprisingly good. It was a full buffet-style dinner, though the venue was small, and there was a pathetic lack of seating/tables. Afterwards, we went on the High Roller. There were only 4 other people on board with us, despite the fact that the pods hold 40 people! This was my 4th time on the High Roller, but I went because my son enjoys it. It inexplicably stopped near the top, and we got stuck for awhile. After sitting in the same place, it finally moved very slowly until we got off. The staff claimed not to know what happened, or even that it got stuck. What?? I will say that they have the video screen prepared for the ride being stuck, as it breaks from the usual program and starts cycling a bunch of Linq trivia questions.

On Saturday, I visited the events desk at Caesars, because I wanted to change something. I found out that the Caesars events desk gave people Seven Stars pins (big deal) and two cupcakes from Sprinkles at the Linq. The Rio gave neither of these things. They offered me a cupcake box when I asked what those were for.

On Saturday at 4pm, they had the Brooklyn Bowl reception at the Linq. It was overcrowded and poorly organized. Again, there was a lack of seating, and the food was served hors-d'oeuvre style. The best of the food served was the breaded/fried chicken tenders, which apparently is Brooklyn Bowl's specialty. They let you bowl as much as you wanted on a first-come, first-served basis, with free shoe rental. Surprisingly, despite the crazy crowds which must have been a violation of the place's fire code, few people wanted to bowl. We easily got a lane, and in fact got a second lane so my 4-year-old son could bowl with bumpers. Several lanes remained open the entire time.

Perhaps most laughable was the "1,000,000 Great Gift Wrap-Up Point Drawing". On the plus side, it was a physical drawing where each person got one entry, so it wasn't one of those super-rigged electronic drawings which are so common at Caesars properties nowadays. However, the "1,000,000 GGWU Points" was BS, and instead was ten separate 100,000 GGWU point prizes. That still sounds impressive, until you realize that the value of 100,000 GGWU points is less than $300! So everyone hung around until 5:30 for the results of this stupid drawing, when in reality they were waiting on a fairly slim chance of winning less than $300 wort of GGWU points. These were all Seven Stars members, meaning $300 probably isn't even worth very much to them. The DJ, who did the drawing, was either clueless or pretended to be, when he repeatedly told the winners that they can buy "a whole lot of stuff now" with their 100,000 GGWU points.

We bowled 4 full games. We left right after the drawing was over, and surprisingly they had shut down the bar already, instead of giving everyone a chance to get one more drink before leaving.

Tomorrow is the brunch, which is the last event. Haven't done that yet.

We had fun at both events so far, but again there was some pretty poor planning on CET's part to make these various mistakes. Pretty sure they would have gotten in some deep shit at Brooklyn Bowl if anyone called the fire marshal.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Also, apparently the Augustus and Octavius Towers were restricted to Diamond and Seven Stars only this weekend.

If you were Platinum or below, you were out of luck, and moved to the Palace Tower, even if you reserved Augustus.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Does everything always seem to go below expectation for you?

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Amen to that!

It was an honest assessment of what I have experienced so far. I listed both the good and the bad.

For example, regarding the food situation at Friday night's reception, my report said, "The food quantity and quality was surprisingly good." Obviously that was ABOVE expectation.

I also complimented the fried chicken strips at the Brooklyn Bowl reception, that we liked the availability of the bowling, and mentioned that overall we have enjoyed these events.

I simply put down everything I noticed, good or bad. The bad included the bitchy woman at the Rio events desk, the crowds at the Brooklyn Bowl reception, the lack of seating at the High Roller reception, and the fact that they played up the 100,000 GGWU points drawing as if it were something huge, when in reality it was worth less than $300.

I will say that one pleasant surprise was that my son was able to attend these events with me. He's only 4, so I wasn't sure if they would refuse him under an "adults only" rule, which would mean I also would not have attended. He was actually allowed to everything, which was great. In typical CET fashion, nobody (even in the events staff) knew whether he was allowed or not (and in fact most guessed he wasn't), but indeed at the events they were happy to let him in.

Rob,

Dan expects the world to bow down to him. Even though he hasn't played a cent this year at CET. I was there this weekend and the overall experience was what one could expect. It was busy. It was disorganized. It was basically a cluster fuck. BUT the food and overall experience was GREAT! It was FREE FUCKING EVENT. So just enjoy it for what it is. And stop complaining and whining about every detail that does not meet up to your self important expectations Dan.

Some people need to cleanup their act and have their keyboard (mouth) washed with soap, and some english classes so that they can express themselves without using the f-bomb and similar bad language

Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    Rob,

Dan expects the world to bow down to him. Even though he hasn't played a cent this year at CET. I was there this weekend and the overall experience was what one could expect. It was busy. It was disorganized. It was basically a cluster fuck. BUT the food and overall experience was GREAT! It was FREE FUCKING EVENT. So just enjoy it for what it is. And stop complaining and whining about every detail that does not meet up to your self important expectations Dan.
    It wasn't free. If you don't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.

w00t! Won $1,500. The results are in for the $250K drawing, part of the Signature Event. Just found out at the Total Rewards desk. Still got crushed overall for the weekend, oh well. Mostly played the $1 7/5 Ultimate X Bonus Poker 3/5/10 play (99.4%), which is still $10/tier credit. Brunch at Giada's then flying out of LAS. I'll probably be back for the GGWU.

The only winning session I had was on the heads-up LHE machines at Aria. Beat the $1 game for 40 big bets. Yay.

TW: I think we were only a few hundred feet from each other. I stayed in the Augustus Tower, 39th floor. Have a safe trip home.
    Last edited by nerakil; 10-26-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    It wasn't free. If you don't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.
    Dan,

You and I both know exactly what free means. Sure you paid for this trip, what over a year ago since you've played anything at CET? Stop trying to dilute the issue. It cost you ZERO CENTS OUT OF POCKET THIS WEEKEND.

And Marty sure called you out and put you in your place in that poll thread of yours. (And Marty made a new fan in me).

Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    Dan,

You and I both know exactly what free means. Sure you paid for this trip, what over a year ago since you've played anything at CET? Stop trying to dilute the issue. It cost you ZERO CENTS OUT OF POCKET THIS WEEKEND.

And Marty sure called you out and put you in your place in that poll thread of yours. (And Marty made a new fan in me).
    First off, keep PFA stuff on PFA. This is a different forum.

The signature event this weekend was for both those who earned it last year and those who earned it this year. I rightfully earned it last year, so yes, I have a right to critique it. You even admitted yourself that it was highly disorganized, so I don't see why you are even giving me a hard time for essentially saying the same thing.

Went to the Sterling Brunch at BLT Steakhouse at 2pm, the last portion of this signature event.

It was good. I think it was the first time I've had lobster tails at a buffet-style meal.

Supposedly the normal price is $85, which I wouldn't pay, but as an included event, it was nice.

2pm seating was very uncrowded.

Such thin skin Dan. And it ALL has to do with you being a gambling loser.

I just found out that I won $500 free play.

Such thin skin Dan. And it ALL has to do with you being a gambling loser.
    The good news is that I saw someone win $100,000 at the machine next to me today, and took a picture of it.

I am in the process of using MS Paint to block out their name, and will be posting it shortly as proof that I can beat -EV games year after year.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    I just found out that I won $500 free play.
    Two questions for you:

1) Did you go to any of the events I mentioned?

2) Did you get Britney tickets? Because I was given Rita Rudner (lol) and didn't bother. The pre-printed card (presumably given to most attendees) claimed you only had a choice between Jubilee (which you can get for free each month anyway) and Rita Rudner. Yet I was hearing that certain people got Britney or another higher-end show instead. The DJ at the Brooklyn Bowl thing even mentioned Britney as being an option, perhaps not realizing not everyone was offered it. I didn't care which show I was offered, as I couldn't attend anyway due to my son being with me. But I'm wondering if you were offered those tickets.

I went to the Brooklyn Bowl but got there too late to deposit my entry for the GGWU points. Like you I thought it was a waste of time.

Gwen and I went to Shania. Gwen wanted to see Britney but while we had that option I chose Shania since she
    has only 6 dates left at Caesars.

I have no idea what drawing gave me $500 of free play???

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The good news is that I saw someone win $100,000 at the machine next to me today, and took a picture of it.

I am in the process of using MS Paint to block out their name, and will be posting it shortly as proof that I can beat -EV games year after year.
    You're born to lose Dan. Never would you be able to afford to even sit next to someone playing a machine that can win that much.

Thread Information