Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ggwu 2014 final thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Let's make this the final thread for the 2014 Great Gift Wrap Up so we can keep all of the notes, pointers, observations in one place.

Less than a week ago and I just checked the site and yes I can log in and get my current Great Gift Wrap Up Points Total. But I have a question: have the BONUS points been added yet?

For example, Rincon has had some Bonus points given on Sundays. Have they been added yet? Caesars has had some bonus days also, are they included?

I checked the website for new additions of gifts and sadly there are none. I am hoping for last minute additions but I am not optimistic there will be any. It appears that this GGWU will be the worst since I started going years ago. They appear to have a poorer selection every year.

I remember not so long ago when Tiffany and David Yurman were represented.

On the site there is nothing about Apple Computer being there.

As previously noted, gift cards are now priced at 3,500 for $10 and 35,000 for $100.

And it's anyone's guess if they will allow an exchange of gift points for free play.

My plan for this year is to drive up one morning, hit the event, and immediately get in the car and drive back. I asked my host if there were any free play offers that would make an overnight stay worthwhile and I was told "no."

If you come up a bit short in points, the GGWU supervisors can (and usually will) round up your points for free. Just go to the checkout desk, ask for them to do it, and they probably will. If they refuse, ask for a supervisor. Do NOT go to the hosts on duty at the GGWU for this purpose, or they will try to sell you GGWU points in exchange for RCs, at a horrible rate!

Also, you can transfer GGWU points (of any amount) to others. The only requirement is that BOTH parties must be present with ID. Again, this has to be done at the GGWU checkout desk.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

BTW Alan, don't fret too much about Apple no longer having a presence there.

In 2012, the prices for iPads were surprisingly reasonable. I bought an iPad plus a case for something like $530 in GGWU points, when the iPad itself (a new model at the time) was going for $500+tax. So here I saved a few dollars (when considering the tax) plus got a free case, over buying the iPad with real money. Definitely was worth it. (That iPad now belongs to my son, btw.)

In 2013, things had completely changed, and the Apple products were a horrible value. I spent my entire GGWU points on gas cards that year.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Alan

Is your November free play not worth staying the night?

I was only going to the December GGWU. I already have 2 November trips planed but I might also go to the November one also as the other trips are not on my November free play offer.

My Rincon and Vegas bonus point have been added within 1 to 2 days after each bonus event.

I am still hoping we get a bunch of mysterious bonus points added at the last minute, like last year.

Rincon will have bonus days on the 16, 23 & 30 of November. I was told they are skipping the next 2 weeks because of the Vegas event.

Aaron... my only cash offer during the GGWU in November is $250 free play. Not worth it. I am better off driving up in the morning, getting my $1200 of Shell gas cards (but first check out a piece of jewelry Gwen is interested in) and then driving home. If I get a "bug" to play there is $5 or $3 craps at State Line or maybe even Paris which sometimes has $5 craps.

I received a private message with a question about expiration of free play that you get at the GGWU. Here's what I wrote:

In the past, the free play vouchers had an expiration date. But the expiration date only applied to when you exchanged the vouchers at the cage. I think the actual free play tickets for slots/video poker have an expiration date that might extend months or even a year from the date issued. At Caesars the table free play now comes in free play chips which I don't think have any kind of expiration.

Again I don't know if they will offer free play this year, but I hope they do.

Also, instead of sending PMs let's all post questions here and get the info out to everyone.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    But the expiration date only applied to when you exchanged the vouchers at the cage. I think the actual free play tickets for slots/video poker have an expiration date that might extend months or even a year from
    I don't recall about the date on the vouchers, but whenever I've had free play tickets I've noticed that they expire at the end of the calendar year, regardless of when I received them, even in late December.

My last free play tickets had an expiration of August 2015. These are the tickets I got from the cage AFTER presenting the voucher from Total Rewards.

I had a cashier try to give me expired tickets earlier this year. The ones now I have been hording are good until 12/31/14.

They added more gift cards to the site.

I can't wait to get me some Canadian Tire GC's.

Aaron thanks for posting about gift cards being added. Apple computers are now listed. There are more TVs. Some additional items have been added to fine jewelry but still no sign of David Yurman, Tiffany or other great brands from years past.

I am guessing that the scramble is on for the last updates.

Hi Alan

I just left the Great Gift Wrap event at Paris. I saw a sign that Free Play can be traded for points. 15,000 points = $50 free play. By contrast gift cards including Shell gift cards is 35,000 points= $100 gift card. So for me Free Play was a relative bargain. I wound up buying some minor items then cashing the rest for free play

Regards FAB

Originally Posted by FABismonte View Post
    Hi Alan

I just left the Great Gift Wrap event at Paris. I saw a sign that Free Play can be traded for points. 15,000 points = $50 free play. By contrast gift cards including Shell gift cards is 35,000 points= $100 gift card. So for me Free Play was a relative bargain. I wound up buying some minor items then cashing the rest for free play

Regards FAB
    Thanks, FAB.

Good to hear that freeplay is still at 30,000 points per $100. That's the same rate I got in 2012.

This makes each GGWU point worth 1/3 of a cent each, and that should be figured when deciding whether to buy items or take freeplay.

In 2012, I had about $1100 to spend. I spent about half on an iPad (a good value, as it was new at the time and also came with a case), and half on freeplay.

Last year I had about $760 and spent it all on gas cards (when it was 30,000 points per $100 and 3,000 per $10). I agree that this year gas cards are poor value.

I only have 33k GGWU points this year, so it's really not worth it for me to go. Basically I would just get $100 in freeplay.

Too bad I can't transfer my points unless I'm there in person, or I'd give them to one of you.

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Too bad I can't transfer my points unless I'm there in person, or I'd give them to one of you.
    Yeah right Dan. You would SELL THEM to one of us.

I was at Paris Sunday for only about 20 minutes -- that's all I needed to make my purchases. I did see that free play was available at 30,000 GGWU for $100 but I had few points left after fulfilling what Gwen wanted: his and her bikes, flatware and a few gas cards.

I was very surprised to see that GUCCI was added and there was a table with Gucci handbags.

I checked out some of the jewelry items that Gwen was interested in and thank goodness I got to see the stuff in person because what looks good "online" didn't look good at all when you could see it and hold it in your hands.

On the way out I did stop to talk to the Penguins. Yes, I really talked to them. I don't know if it was my imagination, but when I talked to them the three of them came over to me. Are they intelligent or did they just think I was going to feed them?

I was at Paris on Sunday. So far, I have received shipping confirmation for two sets of flatware, and the his and hers bicycles. They even called on Wednesday to ask what colors we wanted on the bikes since they forgot to ask when checked-out on Sunday.

Today Fedex delivered the two sets of flatware. Shipping confirmation was received five days. No sign of the bikes even though shipping confirmation also came five days ago.

Nothing yet about the Shell gas cards. If I remember correctly, last year there was a delay because of high demand.

Some "bonus" GGWU points showed up in my account today. I am pretty sure they came from Rincon. Not much -- enough for a $100 Shell gas card.

Thread Information