Thread: High Roller PANIC Attack

Someone I know (won't mention name) who says he is claustrophobic says he had a panic attack on the High Roller. During the ride he dropped to the floor and looked at the floor to ease his panic.

Question: in case of serious illness like a heart attack what do they do?

I don't think there's anything they can do, other than perhaps speed the other pods around (without people getting off) and taking that person off.

Your friend with the claustrophobia would not have liked to have been on the High Roller last time I went. The ride got inexplicably stuck in the same place for quite some time (about 15 minutes). No explanation as to what happened, and the people at the bottom denied anything was stuck, and blamed it on a temporary slowdown to get a handicapper person off (lol).

Even I started to get a little worried at one point, because I knew it would be a bitch to rescue us up there, especially with my 4-year-old son.

The pods are actually very big, so claustrophobia isn't that likely unless you have a severe case.

The other times I rode it (I've been on 4 times total), it didn't stop like that.

Interestingly, they had a "trivia" thing pop up on the screen when it was stuck, which otherwise did not appear during the other times I rode. So they must have prepared the screens for the ride getting stuck like that, which actually made me feel like nothing was too far out of the ordinary.

I have already collected 4 high roller passes for next time, and combined with the two I will get as part of my Seven Stars benefit, I am going to bring my party of 6 family members on it during one of the nights leading up to New Years.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Emergency response

In a Level 1 response, for something like the power grid going out, the backup power would keep the wheel speed steady to allow a full cycling out of passengers.

A Level 2 response calls for doubling the wheel speed and using both the entrance and exit sides of the platform for exiting. The most likely Level 2 scenario is a medical emergency that calls for the quick evacuation of just one cabin. In that case, all passengers would be notified that there is an emergency. The speed of the wheel would be doubled and only those in the affected cabin would be evacuated. The wheel would return to regular speed, and normal operations would resume.

If a passenger has an issue soon after boarding, the wheel’s direction can be reversed to return them to the platform faster. The longest it would take to return a cabin to the boarding platform is seven and a half minutes, when the affected cabin is at the 12 o’clock position atop the wheel and moving at double speed.

Level 3 emergency response would stop the wheel, with passengers in place, to accommodate a needed repair.

Level 4 applies to a power loss involving both the primary and secondary drive systems, requiring the manual mode recovery drive. A full cycling out in this case would take between two and two-and-and-a-half hours.

Level 5 indicates a catastrophic failure and the wheel will not rotate. That’s when the technical rescue team would be called in to get all the passengers safely back on the ground.

This is surely no laughing matter. Some years ago I was at a conference in Los Angeles and we had to take the outside elevator to the top of a very high building. One of group actually crouched down on the floor, shut his eyes, and trembled the whole way up. It was a sad sight to see, but he could not help it. Serious matter.

I have had severe claustrophobia my entire life. I have no idea why. I will not even consider going on the High Roller. While I don't like closed spaces, my panic is not so much the closed space but the inability to leave. I can't be anywhere that I cannot get up and leave. Flying is a bitch--especially now that they really don't let you walk around as much. If I don't have an aisle seat I can't get on the plane. I get an aisle seat at concerts, hockey games, etc. I can't take a cruise. I always try to avoid situations that I know will be a problem.

I have a fear of heights and will never get on a wheel. Unless I have something to distract me, I will become more and more paralyzed. There is no reason to it, all I will want to do is get back on solid ground. In malls I can't walk near a railing. If I'm on a chairlift (I love skiing) and the lift stops I freeze and start to panic internally.

Made the mistake of climbing to the peak of a mountain this summer. As soon as I got up there I had to get off. There was no danger but it didn't matter. Once off the peak I was fine.

Thread Information