There are a lot of reasons to be an out of season shopper. And they include: out of season discounts, and fewer shoppers -- and more attention from sales people.

The other day I stopped into a Halloween "super store" and the only sales person in the store was happy to see me and actually gave me a tour. He was all smiles, willing to chat and answer questions, and was even offering discounts. Of course, this was July.

I spoke to a roofer the other day who told me this is his slow season. He says he needs business now to keep his crews working. In the "rainy season" he has more work than he can handle. But now -- in the dry summer of Southern California -- he can offer fast service on repairs and maintenance.

Need ski equipment and ski clothes and winter jackets? The ski stores are open now.

Look, if you buy your winter stuff now you might not be getting the newest styles that will be reaching the stores this fall, but you will certainly save on last year's styles and inventory.

Sports equipment also has seasons, of course. And if there is no sports season because of a contract dispute then you really can expect some deals.