Thread: The name "outlet" means little.

I know that a lot of shoppers like the idea of shopping at an "outlet" but they may not be getting the best deal or bargain at a store that calls itself an outlet or liquidator. In some of the big outlet malls around the country, major manufacturers have outlet stores that are selling special or selected styles that are manufactured just for the outlet-- and in fact there is no special "deal."

In fact in some of these "outlet" stores run by manufacturers and designers, the merchandise sold in the outlet was never for sale in regular department stores.

Some companies use the name "outlet" but are in fact regular retail stores.

How do you protect yourself? By knowing the prices and the quality of what you are shopping for and what you are buying.

Be especially careful when you buy "seconds" or "irregulars" or items with flaws. You will want to know the store's return policy, and you will want to know the price of the "first quality" merchandise so you can make a proper price comparison.

Have you ever been misled by a store that operates or calls itself an "outlet" or a liquidator? How were you misled?

I totally agree with you. outlet is the just easy way to make money from shoppers at the name of brands. But i felt the stuff of goods are not perfect in outlet.

Agreed Kim Mam
    Originally Posted by kim anton View Post
    I totally agree with you. outlet is the just easy way to make money from shoppers at the name of brands. But i felt the stuff of goods are not perfect in outlet.

Welcome to our forum hasi. Do you have outlet malls in Chandigarh (in India) that are similar to those here in the United States?

I almost never go to outlets anymore because I've rarely found their prices to be enticing. On many occasions I found prices for goods that had flaws that were the same price or more than you could find on sale for regular merchandise in a standard store. There are some exceptions; while I'm not a fan of Sears I've found their outlets can have some good values but they usually have some form of visible flaw so if you are seeking perfection they may not be for you.

Something else people should watch out for are "going out of business" sales. These are often done by sub-contractors who bring in additional merchandise they have picked up elsewhere. You may walk into the store thinking everything is of the same quality as the store originally had, but there could also be cheap merchandise from elsewhere among the mix. And good luck trying to get a refund for a defective item after they've closed up shop.

Spock good point about pointing out return privileges at going out of business sales. Many outlets and liquidation stores also post a "no refund, no return" policy." Shoppers are always wise to inquire about returns and refunds whenever they shop -- whether it's an outlet or a regular retail store.

Thread Information