Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Great Gift Wrap-up dates established

Originally Posted by regnis View Post
    OK--- I've added AP to my business card
    I am going to place an order with Vista Print. Alan Mendelson host, producer, advantage player.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    Every time I sit down at an 8/5 $5 Bonus game at Caesars Palace I have an over 100% play:

the game returns 99.17%
    my hotel room is free (value $300 ??)
    I watch all the free movies I want (5 X 13.95)
    I get at least a $100 dining credit
    I might also get another promotion valued between $300 and $600 (back in the old days they went up to $2500)

Care to add on Reward Credits, Great Gift Wrap Up Points?

BUT THE REALITY IS when I look at my checkbook I don't always come out ahead. In fact, as of year end 2014 I never had a profitable year. But if you define an AP by the theoretical of what I can "pocket" yes I am an AP too. But a poor one. LOL
    Huh? You mean you won't say you're making $73/hour or whatever with that "advantage play"? That's how they do it Alan. You don't have to win anything, in fact, you can lose your bankroll and still say you were "earning money on a good play"! Those phantom bucks go a long, long way.

So are the Shell gift cards really gone?
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    So are the Shell gift cards really gone?
    I just checked again and saw NO gift cards.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    I just checked again and saw NO gift cards.

None at all of just no Shell?
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Dan: NO gift cards of any kind. The category disappeared. Earlier in the year the Shell cards WERE on the site.

I don't know what to make of it. For lower level players the $10 gift cards to Starbucks and for the movie theaters were popular and among the limited number of gift items lower level players could get at the GGWU. I would hate to think that these would no longer be available and the GGWU would, by default, be just for bigger players.

That's awful.

The gas cards were the best, as they were equivalent to cash provided you didn't mind going to Shell.

Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    That's awful.

The gas cards were the best, as they were equivalent to cash provided you didn't mind going to Shell.
    I agree. Last year it was gas cards first, then his and hers bikes, and then some kitchen stuff and a little free play.

the other option now is FREE PLAY only.

It's been more than a month since the last update -- still no gift cards listed on the website.

posted today on Severn Star Insider...

It's In The Cards
    Just announced! Gift cards will be back at the Great Gift Wrap Up (GGWU) this year. The first of two Great Gift Wrap Up (GGWU) events will take place at Paris. The GGWU runs from noon to 8 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom November 5 to 9. December 2 to 6, the event will take place during those same hours in the Palace Ballroom at Caesars Palace. Note that you do not have to be registered at a Caesars hotel or booked under any sort of special offer to participate in this event.

1-800-FLOWERS - $50 1-800-FLOWERS - $100 BUILD-A-BEAR - $100 CHARMING SHOPPES (Lane Bryant) - $100
    DUNKIN DONUTS - $25 DUNKIN DONUTS - $50 FANDANGO - $25 GYMBOREE - $100
    HOME DEPOT - $10 HOME DEPOT - $50 HOME DEPOT - $100 LOWES - $10
    LOWES - $50 LOWES - $100 OMAHA STEAKS - $100 SEPHORA - $10
    SEPHORA - $50 SEPHORA - $100 SHELL - $10 SHELL - $50
    SHELL - $100 SIMON MALL (VISA) - $100 SPORTS AUTHORITY - $100 STARBUCKS - $10
    STARBUCKS - $50 STARBUCKS - $100 WILLIAMS SONOMA, INC. (Pottery Barn) - $50 WILLIAMS SONOMA, INC. (Pottery Barn) - $100
    JustaDiamind is now justa-seven-star..

How much do gift cards cost? I can't seem to find them online (greatgiftwrapup.com).

well apparently SSI knows about this before CET.. surprise surprise.. lol

GGWU Update
    Here are the redemption amounts for gift cards which will be available at the 2015 Great Gift Wrap Up:

$10 cards - 3,500 Gift Points
    $25 cards - 8,750 Gift Points
    $50 cards - 17,500 Gift Points
    $100 cards - 35,000 Gift Points

Not all merchants will have all denominations. For a list of available gift cards, check page 9 of the October Seven Stars Insider newsletter. You also will be able to get $50 in free play for 15,000 Gift Points. (10/2)

Based on redemption values listed above $100 of free play might be a better use than gift cards. 30,000 pts vs 35,000.

I just checked the GGWU website and it concerns me that a month before the first event at Paris the gift cards are still not added to the website.

Gift Cards and Apple Products are the most marked up items at the GGWU. Next in line is free play.

Yeah, in 2012 I got an iPad 4 at the proper price (that is, for the same price Apple was charging for the device, when you convert the GGWU points from their optimal value).

In 2013 I looked again, and the price had gone WAY up for an iPad (totally not worth doing).

I didn't go to the 2014 GGWU, and I may or may not skip this year's.

In some years I've driven up just for the shipping then got in the car and drove home without a single bet. When you can get $1500 or more in gas cards it pays to do that. This year I will get about $800 in gas cards IF THEY HAVE THEM. That's also worth a day trip.

Unless you don't want the volatility of freeplay (which I wouldn't understand for you, Alan, since you play so often anyway), it would be foolish to get the gift cards for 35k per $100 when you can get freeplay for 30k per $100.

It's a huge difference. You could get $700 worth of freeplay for 210k points, but only $600 worth of gift cards.

Unless you want to make the case that the games you're going to play have a 14.29% house edge, then buying the gift cards would be beyond foolish, especially because cash is better than gift cards.

Yes, I know that you are never guaranteed the theoretical return of the machine, and your $700 in freeplay could easily become $350 in cash, but it could also easily become $1000 in cash (or more). And you won't be stuck with gift cards that you have to carry around and remember to use.

This is really too bad, because at one point the gift cards and freeplay were very close to the same price, to where it was worth taking some gift cards just to eliminate the variance of gambling off the freeplay.

But a 14.29% difference is waaaaay too much.

So ridiculous, because CET gets those gift cards from those merchants at way below face value.

Dan good point and I did mention earlier that the free play cost is more attractive at 30k per $100. But I do use Shell and there is one low priced Shell near me which also gives the Total Rewards discount. The Shell gas cards can also be used as gifts. I'm not saying the free play is a bad idea but the Shell cards give me more utility. $700 of free play is a one time event and the Shell cards could be utilized for a year.

Let's see what really happens. I might need a new blender by then.

Thread Information