This past Sunday Gwen and I went to Rincon. Our main purpose was to get Gwen my "companion 7 Stars card" for 2015.

For those of you unfamiliar, there really aren't many benefits tied to the companion card. Basically it allows the card holder to use the 7 Stars courtesy lines. The companion card holder still has their own account number. And the companion cannot access the free play or comps of the "master" 7 Stars player.

We decided to try the buffet in part because 7 Stars get free buffets. That's when Gwen found out she could not use my benefits.

Gwen got to the buffet before I did. She waved her brand new, gleaming 7 Stars Companion card -- and the first thing she was asked was if she wanted to pay with a credit card or use her Reward Credits.

When I arrived I showed my master 7 Stars card and we were seated. No charge because of the free buffets that I get.

Trust me on this -- the Rincon buffet is nothing compared to the buffet at Caesars Palace. It was okay but okay on the mediocre side.

The Sunday morning eggs benedict looked old and stale. The New England Clam Chowder wasn't hot enough. The salads looked wilted. Gwen had some roast beef and shrimp and she said the shrimp was good. Overall she said it was worth the price IF we had to pay that price. And that was a compliment coming from Gwen who adores Nobu and Bobby Flay's place at Caesars.

I don't eat much at buffets, so next time I'll go back to my usual meal in the Cafe (the 24 hour restaurant there) which is pretty good.

By the way, when I signed the papers for Gwen to be my companion (and it was like a marriage contract and we are stuck together for the next year -- with no way out) it also had a line about a companion card for Diamond players. I knew nothing about this. Any info on this? My son was a high level Diamond last year.