Thread: Cafrino -- still not ready for prime time online poker

As you know, I've been following and playing online poker on Cafrino.com which is a free, play for money, online poker website. Cafrino is advertiser supported and revenue from the ads that you see constantly while playing is what provides the money for the winners of tournaments. The money is not big. First prize on many of the tournaments that run every couple of hours is 30-cents. A couple of times a day there are bigger payoff tournaments where the first prize winner gets $10. No one is going to get rich playing the free tournaments on Cafrino.com but they are fun until...

They are fun until the website fails or you get frozen out of the game you are playing.

Yesterday, I was playing a tournament and no less than 8 times in that tournament I was frozen out of the game. I had to close my browser and log back onto the site to rejoin the tournament. And sometimes, it took three or four attemps to log back on.

But wait... there's more.

In some of the one table "sit 'n go's" I was knocked out and could not even log back on to return to the game. This happened no less than 3 times and each time I reported the problem and asked for a "credit" to be restored to the "tournament level" that I was playing at.

I should explain that there are ten levels of "sit 'n go's" and when you reach level 10 you can play in a $2,000 prize pool tournament. I have three or four of those Level 10 "tickets" but the $2,000 tournament is played only once a month. Last night I was knocked out of two Level 6 games and one Level 8 game.

When I send an email to "support" I am told that they are working on the problem. But this is not a new problem. Lots of players get knocked off the website. And yesterday, in a Level 6 game a player who was "at the table" said he couldn't see the cards. This has happened to me as well. Another player who was dealt pocket kings had his kings folded after the flop which contained a king for a set for him. When the hand was over he was able to "show" his pocket kings.

I am sure that Cafrino wants more players because more players will help it get more advertisers and more ad revenue. But until it's ready for prime time online poker with a site that doesn't have so many problems, it will not be attracting many players.

And without players it won't have advertisers and it won't have revenue and it will continue to offer prizes of 30-cents for tournament winners -- and that is a recipe for online poker failure.

Cafrino fix your problems. For example, in the photo below you will see that I am at a table (screen name is "Rockland") with no chips and the site has me marked as "all in." Except I never went "all in" and I never had any chips to play. And in another photo I joined a tournament only to discover that I was directed to an empty table and even my "Rockland" icon doesn't show up.

Other players -- you have been warned.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

More problems early this morning and this time I sent an email to Michael Murphy the CEO of Cafrino.com and here is part of that email:

Michael, let me tell you what just happened.

I was playing your $1 prize pool tournament and we were down to ten players and I was the chip leader with more than 34,000 chips. And that's when the problems started again. Your site would freeze and I would have to close the browser to log back onto the site and rejoin the game. This happened three times and then I couldn't get back to the site at all.

I don't know what happened but I have no doubt that I was eliminated for missing too many hands.

Now, am I going to cry over the 30-cents first place money? Or the 15-cents for finishing third? Of course not. You know me. You know what I do.

But what I can't do is recommend your site on my TV show or on my website to anyone interested in playing on your site, or to any company interested in advertising on your site because you have ongoing technical problems that discourage play.

Every time I write to "support" I am told they are "working" on the problem. Well, this problem has been continuing for months and months and months.

Being practical -- I was bounced off your site today in a tournament that would have paid me 30-cents. But what if it was a big money tournament and I was disconnected then?

Alan, don't waste your time on lousy (and possibly shady) sites like these.

A lot of these "free" online poker sites are not what they seem, and players often have difficulty cashing out. I have heard story after story of sites like these disappearing with everyone's prize money, or slow-paying/no-paying prizes.

The fact that the software is awful/buggy is also a huge red flag.

If you want to play poker, just put a bit of money on a longstanding site like Bovada.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Michael Murphy the CEO of Cafrino responded right away to my email and discusses how the site is still in its "beta testing" stage and it could take several more months to get the various problems resolved. Here is his full email response:

Hi Alan,

First, let me thank you for playing on Cafrino. We appreciate every one of our players. We try to make that point clear in all communications, whether it’s social media (Facebook and Twitter) or customer service and support. Our goal is to bring a completely legal version of the real-money online poker experience to players across the United States. Unfortunately, it’s much easier said than done. This is the reason the product is still in “beta”. During this time, you may continue to experience issues from time to time. And although it is still in beta, we try very hard to make it up to players if and when they run into issues.

What you can expect from Cafrino during beta:

- A completely free and legal version of online poker

- A fun and friendly experience (abuse is not tolerated)

- Real cash prizes, paid quickly

- A support team that will try hard to make things right, if they go wrong (loss of chips/tickets, due to issues, etc.)

- A product team that is working hard to create a fun and enjoyable experience, even with the negatives expected during beta

Some negative aspects of a product that is in beta:

- Product instability (freezing, outages, and other bugs and/or issues)

- Lack of, or limited, features (we have a long, long list of things we will be adding/changing)

- Lower than usual tournament prizes, or tournaments that change from time to time

- Lower than usual player volumes (you may have to wait for players sometimes)

What Cafrino expects from its players during beta:

- Respect for other poker players (no abuse)

- Respect for the Cafrino team (no abuse)

- Reporting of bugs, outages, or issues to the support team

- Response so any inquiries from the support team, including system information and/or details about the experience

- Continued patience and understanding during the beta process

With that said, we are working hard on a daily basis to achieve our goals. We expect the beta version of the product will remain for at least a few more months (we do want to make sure it’s completely stable and bug free when we launch). We hope you’ll continue to play, provide feedback, and be patient and understanding of the situation. We think we have a great group of players, and we appreciate every last one of them.

I wish you the best of luck at that tables. I don’t play much, but I do watch often. Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments. And please continue to send issues to the support team when you encounter them.

Thanks.
    Michael Murphy
    Chief Executive Officer
    www.Cafrino.com

I'm finally -- and I mean finally -- finished with that rinky dink Cafrino online poker site. Read my latest email to Support and to Michael the CEO:

To support and to Michael:

Your site has too many problems and this was the last straw.

I was playing today in the Shark Saturday $50 tournament for more than THREE HOURS and with more than 200,000 chips I was one of your chip leaders.

Then the site started to freeze up.

After 3 hours and 7 minutes the site would not let me log back on.

The site wouldn't even accept my password, and I had to change it.

Obviously, I was out of the tournament for too many missed hands.

I've finished with you and I am going to tell my readers and put it on my TV show that playing on your site is worse than shooting craps -- because when you shoot craps at least the table and the dice don't disappear.

My screen name is Rockland, as you know, and these problems have been going on for a while.

There are other online sites for me to recommend -- and you'll never get a recommendation from me.

Alan Mendelson
    Best Buys TV Show on KCAL Channel 9, Saturday 5:30-PM
    www.AlanBestBuys.com

==========================

By the way, I was able to log back on the site and in fact, I was the chip leader with the next highest chip total around 126,000.

Thread Information