Thread: Triple Crown Excitement

I understand horse racing. My fraternity at Syracuse University (Tau Epsilon Phi) was into the horses and we went regularly to Vernon Downs and we made the trek to the Belmont Stakes in 1971 to see Canonero fail to win the Triple Crown.

Canonero was supposed to win the Triple Crown because it had won the Derby and Preakness.

Being "smart" college students, we didn't bet our money on Canonero to win. No, we played it safe and bet Canonero to show (3rd) where, if I recall, there was more bang for the buck in the prize pool.

But no, Canonero didn't finish for win, place or show. So early on I learned favorites are favorites only until the race starts.

So do we get excited over American Pharoah?

The person I respect most regarding horse racing told me a week before the Kentucky Derby that American Pharoah was a "super horse." This will be a tough assignment. In human racing, it's very difficult to beat someone who has skipped a race and trained for the specific race to come. It's not so much that running the middle race takes it out of you; it's the fact that training for two distinct races versus one in a five-week period puts you at a definite disadvantage. Humans have to be much the better to overcome that training disadvantage.

Regnis can chime in on horses.
    Last edited by redietz; 05-16-2015 at 06:06 PM.

I like him to win at Belmont. We need another Triple Crown winner. Last was 1978 I believe. But NONE will ever be close to the greatness of Secretariat.

I have a little different philosophy on this desire for a triple crown winner. I do not want to see a mediocre racehorse win the triple crown. I watched some of the all time greats do it, and have steadfastly rooted against many of the recent pretenders that won 2 legs.

That being said, usually there are some late bloomers that are a threat in the Belmont stakes, the 3rd leg. Many times the Peter Pan which was run last week provides the Belmont winner (Tonalist last year). However, the Peter Pan had a poor field this year and there doesn't appear to be any serious new contenders. The Preakness was pretty much a walkover, especially when the track became sloppy, and the horses that were 2nd and 3rd in the derby have proven they cant run with Pharoah. In fact, I gave the trifecta to everyone that would listen today---Pharoah on top---throw out the 2nd and 3rd from the derby--the rest 2nd and third for the trifecta. Cost $20 for a dollar tri--paid 492.50. Of course, I do bet a little more than a dollar.

Anyway, it appears that he will win the triple. Whether it is his talent or a lack of competition remains to be seen. Maybe a little of both. I am not sure in my mind yet whether he is a super star like previous triple winners. He is by a young sire that looks to be promising but not bred for distance. The mare raced only twice and is an unknown. But I do think he will win the triple and will let you know in a few weeks if any new horse looks like a problem.

Rob--in my 48 years in racing, Secretariat was definitely the best. I still get a chill when I watch that Belmont of his. If you have never seen the movie take a look at it. Pretty entertaining. Breeding was actually a big question with Secretariat as his sire, Bold Ruler, was considered only a miler. He was not bred to go a distance. But he was a freak---and you have probably heard that he had a huge heart---way bigger than a normal heart.

Yes, I know much about Secretariat and was fascinated with his story long before the movie--which was excellent by the way. Because of that heart and how he just kept sprinting thru the Belmont as jaws dropped, I consider him easily the best 'athlete' ever.

Pharoah may or may not be a super horse, but I look at it from the standpoint that if he can win these 3 big races, esp. Belmont, he deserves the crown. He'll never be another Secretariat.... no horse will. But I'm rooting for him anyway.

I watched those Secretariat races when I was a young man and have the same fondness. The Belmont was chilling; it was just inspirational in some sense.

Thread Information