Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumb rule at the Rio: The maid will force-enter your room after 3 days no matter what

Originally Posted by redietz View Post

I often wonder about how much interface goes on between security and the front desk. We were in line for registration at the Rio a couple of years ago and had booked a normal room, but evidently someone recognized us while we were in line, and when we reached the desk, they had already put us in one of the major suites.
    Are you suggesting facial recognition software identified you? Or the eye in the sky matched you to some sort of master list?

Or, it is more likely that when your name was punched into the computer that you were flagged for an upgrade?

I suspected it might be a facial recognition thing because, if I recall correctly, the room was in my name and there was no reason for them to upgrade me. The name of the person I was with in line was not on the room, but she might have been recognized as someone deserving of an upgrade. We didn't request an upgrade or debate one or try to tip anybody. They just announced that, if it was okay with us, they were putting us in one of the better suites.
    Last edited by redietz; 06-05-2015 at 02:10 PM.

redietz I am more inclined to think that as soon as the reservation clerk entered your name in the computer the upgrade became available for you. I really doubt that any security system would be linked to reservations or hotel check-in.

There is also the possibility that you were given the upgrade because the "normal room" you would've gotten was not available. About ten years ago I drove to Caesars on the Friday night before Super Bowl -- without a reservation. I called my host during the drive and he said "we're sold out, but I can put you in a high roller suite tonight but tomorrow I have to move you to Bally's." And that's what happened. Friday night I was in a high roller suite in an exclusive floor in the Palace Tower that needed a special key for the elevator. And the next day I was moved to Bally's in a room with worn carpet, an old TV on a table with exposed wiring running along the floor, and a mildewed bathroom. What a shock after being in the high roller suite the night before.

I've always thought the Rio scenario was strange because we stood in a long registration line with plenty of other folks and overheard all of the desk conversations. The place was packed. Now I've had the scenario you describe happen to me a couple of times when I've gotten into town late. The old Barbary Coast put me in a hot tub suite once when I arrived late, and Palace Station put me in one of the original suites with the brass fittings when I arrived very late. But I've never had anyone give me a serious upgrade in the middle of the day when a place was packed, and I'm not a big player with them. Maybe it was my sparkling personality.

The fact that the place was "packed" further makes me think that whatever room you thought you were getting was not available and they gave you the upgrade instead of some nickel slots player.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I may have missed something on the site, but when I scouted for room rates on the Rio website, I was not able to tell from the individual room descriptions which rooms were in which tower.

I often wonder about how much interface goes on between security and the front desk. We were in line for registration at the Rio a couple of years ago and had booked a normal room, but evidently someone recognized us while we were in line, and when we reached the desk, they had already put us in one of the major suites.
    You can't pick the tower.

I call up the day before and arrange the tower I want.

BTW, Alan is likely correct in how you got an upgrade that time.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Same thing happened to me this trip. Too many stories over the years of poker players getting a lot of cash stolen from their rooms/safes and never getting it back that I would prefer no one come in while I'm there a few days but a housekeeping supervisor knocked on my door in the morning after 3 days and insisted they clean.

Thread Information