I experimented with the "flying wedge" set in craps this past weekend. The flying wedge is also called the 3V or "big V" set and your two dice are gripped with the 3s showing a V or wedge or Hard 6 on top. Ideally you have 6 in the front and 8 in the back and 6s on the outside and 8s on the inside. In other words, all the way around the dice are showing a 6 or an 8. Under the flying wedge of V are the two 4s for the Hard 8.

If you believe in dice influencing this set is supposed to give you more inside numbers, and specifically the 6s and 8s.

When I tried it this weekend, I did get more 6s but the 6s I got were 4-2. To get 4-2 one die has to flip over completely making two turns, while one die makes a one-face turn. In reality, did my dice fly in the air, rotate, hit the table and bounce off the back wall, and then roll and come to rest with one die only turning two faces and one die turning only one face? No way. And if you think that's what happened I have an antique artifact in South Carolina to sell you with the Confederate Flag flying on its rooftop.

But I did get a lot of 4-2 combinations showing. And I found that interesting.

After my experiment which went for three hands and some mild success -- I went back to using my cross-sixes: one die has the 6 vertical and the other has the 6 horizontal and in the front 3/2 or 5/4 shows.

The cross sixes set is supposed to target outside numbers and that's always been my experience. This past weekend during one really good roll I hit the "10" six times, and I hit the "4" four times. But I was also hitting a good share of 5s and 9, and 6s and 8s too. What I wasn't hitting was 7s -- and that's what's most important.

Do I believe in this? Not really. Because I have seen shooters who pick up the dice and just throw them have monster rolls. But -- it doesn't hurt to try.