Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Star "best available room" upgrade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've only made a reservation once as a 7 star, and I'm curious as to what exactly this means. Seems like it would imply that you could get the 2 bedroom penthouse, as long as it's not occupied, but my "upgrade" was underwhelming, to say the least. Do you have to specify which room you want, are certain rooms off limits, etc? I'm checking into Caesar's this weekend, if that's relevant.

Good question Guy. I've never asked for an "upgrade" but the room I usually get is in the Augustus Tower facing the Bellagio fountains and that's good enough for me. While I prefer a higher floor, it doesn't matter to me how high the floor is.

I guess theoretically you should get an upgrade as you said if the better room is not available. How "high" an upgrade? I don't know.

It's mostly BS.

It really means that you will be given the best non-suite available room.

At most properties this means very little. At Caesars Vegas it means you get Augustus or Ocatvius towers.

A few other properties go a bit further voluntarily, such as Harrahs New Orleans which will give you a suite if one is available (though sometimes you have to ask for it at check in).
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

That was one of the most useful, succinct answers I've read regarding 7 Stars room upgrades. Thanks, Dan, for spelling it out.

You have a much better chance at getting a far better free upgrade if you show up for your reservation close to midnight than you would from the CET 7-Stars upgrade baloney.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    You have a much better chance at getting a far better free upgrade if you show up for your reservation close to midnight than you would from the CET 7-Stars upgrade baloney.
    Explain this please.

Many times when I've checked into a reserved room close to midnight there is no longer a room type they reserved for me available. That's because they sold the rooms over the course of the evening since I haven't shown up yet (they keep reservations open until 1 or 2am before cancelling) and resign to the fact that if I do show up, they'll upgrade me to some suite--and sometimes I've even gotten the penthouse (Harrahs, Bellagio, Luxor to name a few, and the Bellagio penthouse was two floors).

It's a game. More often than not I've received an upgrade, but most of the time it's a more "expensive view" or a larger room.

I had the same experience at Red Rock last week. Checked in at 11 pm, got a suite

Rob that's good info. But what about people who want to check in at 10am and don't want to gamble at the front desk?

I've experienced this a number of time over the years, also. It seems to be a "single male" phenomenon -- hasn't happened when I've been with someone. Probably doesn't happen if you're Richard Gere's stunt double, as they figure you won't be alone for long.

If you want to check in at 10am and want an upgrade, I guess you have to pay for one. I never care what room I'm given--I accept them without any hassle. If I show up near midnight it's because of my schedule and not some scheme to get a free suite.

Like you Rob I don't care about the room. Except for movies, sleep and in room dining and a clean bathroom I don't care. But the fountain view of Bellagio is nice for about thirty seconds.

But what about a door, Alan? Are doors optional? I ask because I once tried to get a room at The Aztec, and the manager showed me a room with the door off its hinges and a stellar dude sleeping next to where the door should have been. Sadly, I passed on the offer.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    But what about a door, Alan? Are doors optional? I ask because I once tried to get a room at The Aztec, and the manager showed me a room with the door off its hinges and a stellar dude sleeping next to where the door should have been. Sadly, I passed on the offer.
    Did you really expect more at that dive?? Sometimes there's a surcharge for the "stellar dude".

That's interesting about checking in close to midnight. I had a late night arrival once, at 10pm, at Harrah's in Vegas and without even asking was upgraded to a small suite. I was only there one night before transferring to another hotel. I couldn't tell if it's because I was only there one night I got the suite, or, if like you mentioned above, all the rooms I asked for or wanted were already full.

The "late night" trick will sometimes backfire, especially on busy weekends.

This is because there will be few rooms of ANY TYPE still available, and then you're stuck picking from the crap that's left.

I once ended up in the awful Roman Tower at Caesars when I showed up at 4am during a busy weekend.

Alan, I am surprised you don't care about a high floor at Augustus. That faces Flamingo and is VERY NOISY on any low floor, unless you face the other side.

I was once given a room on "floor 26" (which is actually like floor 5, since floor 23 is actually like the second floor in the building), and it was unbearably noisy. I came right back down and demanded higher.

Now when I book, I say I want floor 36 (actually 15) or above.
    Check out my poker forum, and weekly internet radio show at http://pokerfraudalert.com

Dan, I don't think I ever had a LOW floor EXCEPT for that weekend about a month ago when I drove in JUST to play for a few hours and ended up getting that sequential royal. I decided to stay the night and the hotel was sold out except for a bottom floor room overlooking the roof in the Palace tower, by the elevators and a cramped room at that. I didn't care. It was just me. I got my room service and watched some movies and slept -- except for the time-out to run to the bank to deposit the cash.

You could get a higher end suite as part of "upgrade to best available". The caveat is that although you get the upgrade, it affects your backend comps. If you are a mid level player and accept a big suite upgrade, it eats into your available back end comps. A host may value a jr suite at $250, but a large suite at $600. The best available isn't a free ride.

Originally Posted by Luckylisa View Post
    You could get a higher end suite as part of "upgrade to best available". The caveat is that although you get the upgrade, it affects your backend comps. If you are a mid level player and accept a big suite upgrade, it eats into your available back end comps. A host may value a jr suite at $250, but a large suite at $600. The best available isn't a free ride.
    This is 100% true. Many times when I have checked into Rincon they offered me an upgrade to their "Catalina" suite. I declined almost every time since I was alone and didn't need 1500 Sq ft.

Thread Information