Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Palms Humbles Themselves With A CET Assist

I had a pretty good first week in NFL. I won 5 out of 6 picks. But that is not to gloat. I know that average won't hold up during the course of the season. And I actually dodged a minefield. All of my bets were on dogs with the points. The books took a shellacking Sunday because so many favorites covered. I just happened to be on the right dogs.

Originally Posted by singahkillah View Post
    Count, thats not how moneylines work. The favorite is at -140 and the dog is usually at +130. With the favorite who is at 7 to 5 to win you have to bet $140 to win $100. Thats what -140 means. If you bet the dog then you would bet $100 to win $130. If the money taken in by the book is balanced then the book makes their money when the dog wins.
    Singakillah, my focus here is very narrow as opposed to the scope of what you're trying to explain to me. I understand all the other facets of the conversation here. What I am trying to point out is that 7-to-5 odds in horseracing is the equivalent to +140 on the moneylines.

LINK, scroll down to payoffs to $2 win bets:
    http://horseracing.about.com/cs/handicapping/a/aaoddschart.htm

$2 win bet on a 7-to-5 odds horse returns $4.80. (including your original $2 bet)
    $100 win bet on 7-to-5 odds horse returns $240.00 (including your original $100 bet)

$100 win bet on a +140 moneyline returns $240.00

7-to-5 odds is equivalent to +140 moneyline
    5-to-7 odds is equivalent to -140 moneyline
    Last edited by Count Room; 09-15-2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: EDIT: Corrected small error

Originally Posted by singahkillah View Post
    I had a pretty good first week in NFL. I won 5 out of 6 picks. But that is not to gloat. I know that average won't hold up during the course of the season. And I actually dodged a minefield. All of my bets were on dogs with the points. The books took a shellacking Sunday because so many favorites covered. I just happened to be on the right dogs.
    Congrats on the great work. You nailed these, and they were skewed values. The Vikings had opened as 2 1/2 dogs and swung to chalk -- for reasons I can't fathom.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Congrats on the great work. You nailed these, and they were skewed values. The Vikings had opened as 2 1/2 dogs and swung to chalk -- for reasons I can't fathom.
    Thanks, Redietz. And I think I told you about making an early bet on Thurday night's game. I took Denver +3 at +105. But I'm regretting that bet now. Peyton is on the injury report today with a back injury.

Thread Information