Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Professional gambler deductions

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    Get real. Name one person here or who knows you who isn't inclined to believe you are a gambling addict. I admitted to being one and truthfully/respectfully, you make me look like Mother Teresa's priest.

I'm certainly not trying to insult you. It's simply an observation based on experience.
    Based on experience? And what medical or psychological degree?

Keep your dinner money Rob. Linda and I won't be joining you. Friends like you I don't need.

What's that saying--You Can't Handle Whatever? And as I've stated multiple times, it's simply my belief. I think I'm right, and if you think I'm wrong then others might also. Don't be so offended. It's no crime to be an addict.

What's that saying--You Can't Handle Whatever? And as I've stated multiple times, it's simply my belief. I think I'm right, and if you think I'm wrong then others might also. Don't be so offended. It's no crime to be an addict.
    Allow me to clue you in, since you are either ignorant or insensitive or both: to call someone an addict, and to say someone is addicted, is damaging, insulting and libelous if wrong. I am deeply offended, and tonight I explained to Linda why we won't be going to Vegas that weekend and why I won't be collecting on that dinner bet. You owe me an apology. Frankly, you owe everyone else an apology you insulted over the years.

Get real. Name one person here or who knows you who isn't inclined to believe you are a gambling addict. I admitted to being one and truthfully/respectfully, you make me look like Mother Teresa's priest.

I'm certainly not trying to insult you. It's simply an observation based on experience.
    Only a few percent of the population are compulsive/addicted gamblers. Alan is not addicted or he would have lost his business and everything years ago. He's just a recreational gambler. I don't agree with his stop win/ stop loss strategy but it exhibits the control he has. Rob, absolutely not an authority on addicted gambling, and whether he knows it or not, is definitely smearing Alan. If he will do it to a friend he will do it to anyone.

Rob's claim of "used to be addicted" is disingenuous. Again, contact Gamblers Anonymous and ask them if they have ever heard of anyone who used to be an addicted gambler but still gambles and is no longer addicted. It just doesn't happen.
    Last edited by slobdinger; 12-11-2015 at 03:21 AM.

As a malignant narcissist Rob has an insatiable desire to make himself look good by making others look bad. It's only temporary relief for him so he continually does it. His need is so strong that he will even trash a friend, Alan, to get relief.

I had an issue with Rob awhile back when he called me a liar regarding how much video poker I played and whether I could walk away and not play if the games were excessively negative. Basically, I will play negative games up to minus 1% at Boyd if it's 5X points on senior days and it's a promo/gift day, but I don't play otherwise. Rob didn't believe me. That is one of my major issues with Rob -- he thinks he knows everything and jams it down everyone's throat under the aegis of "it's my opinion."

long ago I said to my sister that she was an alcoholic and that she needed help. She got all upset and said that I was wrong to call her a name like that. A few years later she died of cirrosis of the liver. Had she taken my advice she may still be with us today. Although I personally don't think Alan is an addicted gambler and I do think Rob is wrong for saying he is. In my case I don't feel i was being insulting to my sister. I WAS TRYING TO HELP HER.

Originally Posted by spojoey View Post
    long ago I said to my sister that she was an alcoholic and that she needed help. She got all upset and said that I was wrong to call her a name like that. A few years later she died of cirrosis of the liver. Had she taken my advice she may still be with us today. Although I personally don't think Alan is an addicted gambler and I do think Rob is wrong for saying he is. In my case I don't feel i was being insulting to my sister. I WAS TRYING TO HELP HER.
    I sincerely believe Alan is. I'm no authority obviously, but I understand why gamblers do what they do and why they get married at craps tables....that end in divorce.

I'm no authority
    That's all.

Thread Information