Thread: How do you spell the plural of Yo?

This came up on the Wizard's forum: Do you spell the plural of Yo with or without an apostrophe?

Yo is an expression used for the number "eleven" in the game of craps. Yo is used so that there is no misunderstanding when a player calls for a bet on eleven because a dealer might think the player said "seven." A player calling out "give me a five dollar yo" is more clear than a player calling out "give me a five dollar eleven."

I have always wrestled with whether or not to put an apostrophe into the word for the plural of yo.

We have craps for "any craps" but there is the singular "crap" bet as in "any crap." We can also say "any craps." No apostrophe is used.

But without an apostrophe the plural of "yo" is "yos" and that might be a problem.

I checked various dictionaries for "Yos."

"Yos" is most often listed as a derogatory word. (While "crap" or "craps" might be an offensive word, it is not a derogatory word.)

"Yo's" also appears as a contraction of similar derogatory words.

Some players who don't want to utter the word "seven" at the table will call that number "the devil" or "big red," or might even go to the extreme and say "the number between six and eight."

Perhaps instead of saying "Yo's" or "Yos" which can be derogatory words, we should simply say "elevens" which is not derogatory and only can be mistaken in speech and not in text?

Well, that was educational. YOS is an acronym for many things -- Youth Outreach System, Youthful Offender System, and so on. In Sanskrit, Yos means health and happiness.

I think, to avoid the Sanskrit definition, I might stick an apostrophe in there when writing if I were quoting someone and just say elevens if not quoting someone. Or I might feel obligated to stick with Yo or Yos but put "eleven" or "elevens" immediately after Yo or Yos, but in parentheses.

If not quoting someone, I use as little jargon as possible. Even when discussing sports betting, I refrain from using jargon almost completely. If people think I'm not part of the subculture because I refrain from jargon, good. Yo and Yo's/Yos are craps jargon that could be misinterpreted by a general reader. Usually when saying push (tie) in sports writing, I'll put "tie" in parentheses the first usage.

Then you can debate how often reminding the reader with another parentheses followup is appropriate. First time only? First time every chapter? Alan, what were you taught for this?

Originally Posted by redietz View Post

Then you can debate how often reminding the reader with another parentheses followup is appropriate. First time only? First time every chapter? Alan, what were you taught for this?
    I don't recall that lesson.

But in broadcast writing you never use parenthetical phrases, nor do you use words which need an explanation or reminder more than once.

By the way, this was insightful of you: put "eleven" or "elevens" immediately after Yo or Yos It is the usual practice for craps dealers to announce Yo-Eleven when an 11 is rolled.

Yes, that would be a no-no for broadcast writing certainly. I could see a sitcom situation with that.

Thread Information