Thread: Honesty of the Powerball Drawing

With more than a billion dollars at stake I wonder about the honesty and safety of the Powerball drawing? I don't doubt it's fairly run but...

Years ago when I worked at KTTV, the Fox station here in LA, I went to Sacramento to do a story about the California lottery and the procedures they had to be sure the drawings were fair. They had balls in an air-scrambler. It was interesting how they did the testing prior to the drawing-- loading and unloading, picking the balls, etc. to be sure all balls had an even chance of being drawn and being sure there was no sign of one or more balls being heavier than another.

During one of the test draws a ball fell on the floor. They immediately removed that entire set of balls and replaced it with another set fearing the ball that hit the floor would be compromised.

They then repeated all the testing again to determine that there were no repeaters or sign that any ball was weighted.

I've never seen a report on the safety of the Powerball drawing but this would be the time to do it.

Thread Information