Thread: Betting the Small, Tall, All Feature Bets at Craps

In another thread, FABismonte asked about my betting strategy with the Small, Tall, All bets. I like these feature bets because they give the player a chance to win a lot of money with a small amount of money.

Generally in craps you have to bet big in order to win big because in traditional craps the biggest payout is 30 to 1 for a one-roll bet on the 2 or 12. The most common bets are either even money bets (you bet $5 to win $5) or they offer small percentage wins (you bet $6 to win $7).

Feature or bonus bets such as the Fire Bet offer a 1,000 to 1 payout, and the Small and Tall bets offer 35 to 1, while the All offers 175 to 1.

These feature or bonus bets give craps players the chance of hitting a jackpot the way a slot player might hit triple-7s or a video poker player might hit quad aces or a royal flush.

FAB asked this question after my late night trip to Bellagio where I hit the ALL but that big win came after some losing hands with the dice:

Originally Posted by FABismonte View Post
    Do you always bet $25 on all three nowadays? Looks like your entire win was caused by the features bet.

FAB
    I now bet $25 on myself -- after Jason yelled at me for getting the ALL three times when betting only $5 on the three bets. Twice I was playing with him and he was betting $10 on each while I was betting $5. I guess he has more faith in pops than I have.

Mostly with other players I bet $5 on each but I have bet $25 a few times. It depends how my session is going. It's long shot.

Yes, FAB, the ALL win was responsible for my profit. Craps is a tough game to win at because for "right way" players you win only one bet at a time but you lose them all if a 7 shows.

While I hit the ALL once on Saturday night, I also hit the small once in another turn with the dice, also with $25 on it. (Yes I was shooting.) But I also had turns with the dice when I rolled and set a point of 6, bet $130 across plus $125 as full odds on my $25 passline bet, had $25 on each of the Small, Tall, All bets and then threw a 7-out. In that case I lost with one roll of the dice $355. That was a big ouch.

So, because you can lose so much money with one roll of the dice, and you can win only one bet at a time with most craps bets, you really need to hit a bonus or feature bet to come out ahead.

Originally Posted by AlanMendelson
    So, because you can lose so much money with one roll of the dice, and you can win only one bet at a time with most craps bets, you really need to hit a bonus or feature bet to come out ahead.
    Solid reasoning.

Thread Information