Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ali

I don't want folks to think, as a sports guy, that I've got nothing to say regarding Ali. I just want a couple of days to get my thoughts together and put pen to paper. Ali, you see, was part of my childhood gestalt. He trained in Deer Lake, Pennsylvania, about 18 miles from my hometown of Frackville. We watched him train on occasion in those Deer Lake cabins, and he visited my hometown on a regular basis. As a youngster who saw friends go off to Vietnam, and who was very shortly going to be on that lottery docket, Ali's stance meant something to me at a very confusing time.

I'll put something together for Tuesday or so.

Most of my family served. I was rejected because of 3rd degree rotation flat feet so I felt bad seeing all my classmates, especially my sports teammates, going and not me. With my immaturity,, I probably would have been a Vietnam casualty. But I would have served. No judgement here-just sayin'.

Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I don't want folks to think, as a sports guy, that I've got nothing to say regarding Ali. I'll put something together for Tuesday or so.
    Holy bated breath, Batman....but what if you can't tear yourself away from staring at your reflection in the pool?

I actually agree with you, coach. Should just write it and post. The post was stupid.

Also learned from your post that one can assemble others' words as if they are a direct quote when they are not. Did not know you could do that. That breaks a bunch of editing and journalism rules. Good to know you have to actually go back to source quotes to verify.
    Last edited by redietz; 06-05-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Writing something about Ali should be simple. I met him in 1994 at a hotel at LAX, but my beliefs about him were already formed and that exchange changed nothing.

I made it a point to read and understand everything about the guy from the moment I saw him bombastically and repeatedly tell the world that he was the greatest and could easily defeat any of the heavyweight champs that have come before him. His extraordinary wit combined with sincerity & humor motivated me to follow him throughout his life.

In my opinion, he was the greatest, most motivational human being to have ever lived, and I feel blessed to have lived most of my life at the same time he was alive. If you've ever visited the Mohammed Ali Parkinson's Center @ Barrow in Phoenix, it'll only add to the respect you have for this guy.

How's this?

I don't want folks to think, as a sports guy, that I've got nothing to say regarding Ali...blah, blah, blah...I'll put something together for Tuesday or so.
    Or...what most of your posts sound like when read out loud....

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

That's funny coach and MORE than a spot-on depiction for whoever red is. But he's postponing his next declaration until Tues. because he's giving himself time to cook up another story that can never be matched up to whoever he really is--and maybe not even to that character he portrays.
    Last edited by Rob.Singer; 06-05-2016 at 06:38 PM.

I've thought about it. I like the idea of Rob publicly accusing me of identity theft. This is a good thing.

I admired Ali like millions of Americans and others around the world did. I was hoping he would be at the Caesars 50th anniversary and just last week I was talking to my host at Caesars about that possibility. I have other things to say but I will post them 365 days after redietz posts so not to steal his thunder.

Thanks. I finished just now. I'll edit and post tomorrow morning. Better post tomorrow. We ain't getting younger.
    Last edited by redietz; 06-05-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Attention: redietz will post tomorrow. Alert the media. Stand by. This must be something important. Perhaps redietz will also reveal the name of the second gunman and where to find Jimmy Hoffa.

Originally Posted by Rob.Singer View Post
    he's giving himself time to cook up another story that can never be matched up to whoever he really is
    Yeah...months ago, when the ditz claimed to be a sportswriter, I asked him to provide a link to anything he had written that was published...he never did.

Coach, you've gotta be kidding. Why would I provide you with anything? What's my motivation? Impressing coach belly?

You do see where this is going, don't you? There's a journalist in the house who will make damn sure he doesn't get bamboozled. I provide the stuff listed in the other thread to said journalist. Bets get made in advance. See who wins and all that.

Be brave with those wallets, boys. Don't be shy.

Bets get made in advance. See who wins and all that.

Be brave with those wallets, boys. Don't be shy.
    I don't know what you are talking about, but what kind of writer would hide his work?...not want to have it read?

You must be a fraud, ditz...just like Rob says...otherwise we would have links and be able to read your stuff.

I missed where redietz said he was a published author. However, it is possible he was published in media where Internet links are not available. For example, I've written for the Washington Journalism Review, Columbia Journalism Review, New York Magazine, New Jersey Magazine, Barron's, and several other national publications but there are NO Internet links available to any of the articles. One reason is, they were all published BEFORE Al Gore invented the Internet, and I don't think the archives of those publications are available online.

So it is very possible that redietz wrote and was published in media that is not available on the web.

The Thrilla in Manila in 1975 was not on television, or at least free live TV. My college room mate and I couldn't get the fight on my transistor radio. So we went in my car and were driving around trying to keep the signal. We finally found a spot in a pretty bad part of town where the signal was coming in good. But midway through the fight, we lost the signal. As we started driving away we heard the broadcast booming and saw a crazed scary looking drunk guy in a pick up truck and the good signal was coming from there. We figured there were two of us--what could he do, and we walked over and asked him if we could listen to the fight with him.

He gave us an overly friendly and accommodating "sure--come on in" as we were like the sheep to the slaughter. All was actually well until his girlfriend came out to beat the crap out of him for sitting in his truck getting high and drinking. She dragged him out of the truck and was wailing on him. We looked at each other, shrugged, and stayed in his truck for the remainder of the fight.

Originally Posted by Alan Mendelson View Post
    I missed where redietz said he was a published author. However, it is possible he was published in media where Internet links are not available.
    Well that seems reasonable enough...but that's not exactly the ditz's story...

Coach, you've gotta be kidding. Why would I provide you with anything?

Coach, there's a list in the current Singer thread. If you doubt the truthfulness of each of them, I'd hate for you to wager on it. I'd be broke and exposed as a fraud, especially at a 1 K an item bet or something like that. I'd really hate for Alan or Dan to hold the money and evaluate the claims, especially on video.

Well you sure do sound like somebody who seeks attention and has something to prove.

Good luck with that...and enjoy your reflection in the pool.

Coach, you're not backing down from a dozen or so 1K wagers, are you? Think of all the fun you'll have spending the money. Plus you get to expose a fraud on video.

Thread Information